1992 celebrity rpm range

I recently sold my race cars and decided to buy this 1992 celebrity as a project. It's my first boat so I am still learning. Long story short the boat is 20ft long has the 228 mercruiser engine, 4 barrel quadrajet carb, with a Yamaha outdrive. The prop on the boat is a 15.25x13 pitch. From what I have read the pitch seems way off for this size of boat. The carb is brand new, new plugs, wires, battery, and all fluids where checked. The problem is the boat will only turn 3800-4000 rpm with only myself in it at 30-35 mph on the Speedo depending on water conditions. I have played with the trim settings and that was the best I could get with it trimmed just right. From what I have read going up in prop size is only going to make it worse. So I guess what I'm getting at is do I have just a prop issue or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks in advance

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

the 228 mercruiser is a 1980 vintage 305 motor and would have had a 4600 RPM range

what is the compression on your 37 year old motor in your 25 year old boat?

hate to say it, with the Yamaha outdive and 37 year old motor, you bought someone elses headache that may prove more expensive than your race cars.

Haha I wish I would have done more research before buying it. I will do a compression test before I do anything else. I realized after buying it it was not the original motor

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not only is it not the original motor, you cant get parts for the yamaha drive