Propellor Brands

kardenm

Recruit
I've been reading a lot on here about propeller selection but haven't yet seen any comparison of brands.
I'm trying to buy a 10.5 X 11, aluminum, 3 blade prop for my 1981, 35hp Johnson. Engine is on a 17' Bass Tracker.
I'm just fishing and trying to get from one place to another and trying to get the most out of my 35hp.
I'm looking at choosing one of the following;

1. Turning Point Hustler
2. Michigan Wheel Vortex XHS
3. Michigan Wheel Match
4. Quicksilver Black Diamond
5. Solas Amita

I have no clue which one of these would be the best for me to buy and would appreciate some experienced opinions.
Thanks.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Go to your local boat shop and see if you can just try a couple out before you buy one.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Same diam/pitch props in different brands will not perform equally same as water tested before. Pick one of your current brand prefference and play with pitches till one dials at least middle to max wot rpm range factory stated and of course as usually loaded. Is it possible to get OEM props for that engine with less pitch if in pursuit to pull wot rpm higher ? There isn't any wot rpm posted, that screws the best prop selection equation.

Is 10.5 x 11 prop a wild guess selection ? had exact one before ? what were the wot rpm achieved as susually loaded with that one ?

Happy Boating

kardenm

Recruit
Appreciate the responses!

I currently have no brand preferences. I guess that's what I'm asking for. Some input on brand preferences and reasons for.

I am pretty clear on the how's and why's of pitch selection and I'm sure of what I want to try next. So, I'm going to pick one of those five but wish I had some way to decide which one other than a stab in the dark.

I'm currently running a 10 X 13 (unknown brand, may be original?). Engine running well, been worked on and tuned. I can only get to about 4500 to 4700 rpm and 18 to 20 mph with only myself and gear. Speed drops to 16 mph with another person on-board.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Everyone, myself included has their brand preference when it comes to props. I like Mercury and OMC/BRP props
Asking a 35hp to plane a loaded 17 footer is asking a lot. Looking at the 1981 OMC prop charts, the 13" was recommended for 13 - 15 ft boats with a speed range of 26 - 34 mph, so it is way too much prop for a 17ft. An 11" was recommended for 14 - 17 ft boats, with a speed range of 19 - 27 mph. You would be at the high end for load and therefore at the low end for speed. A 9" was recommended for 17ft to 20ft boats. That would be a better choice for you and will bring your engine into the WOT range which 5000 - 6000 rpm. An 8" or 7" would be getting into nonplaning/barge applications

Last edited:

kardenm

Recruit
Great information jimmbo! And that lines up with what I've been seeing and reading. Where can I see that info (OMC prop charts).

I'm going to go with an 11 pitch to bring the WOT up some and see how that works. If I need more than I'll get a 9 pitch next. That way I'll have both to use depending on the situation.

Sure wish I could get some help deciding which Brand to choose!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In the 35hp range there isn't going to be major differences between prop brands.
On your list, my choices, in no particular order would be the Solas, TP Hustler, and the Michigan match.
I sent you a PM

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check if there are OMC OEM props available in less pitch, at least will know wot rpm difference between a 13 and a 11 same brand prop pitch.

Happy Boating