1999 Bayliner Capri 2050 4.3LX Mercruiser prop question

AMSOILGUY

Cadet
1999 Bayliner Capri 2050 W/4.3LX Mercruiser.

The prop that was on the boat when we got it was really bad. A new prop was purchased and put on. We went boating today and I could only get the RPMS at WOT 3600. It would only go 30MPH and barely plain out. I went off what I thought was a Bayliner website that stated a 14" prop with a 23 pitch. was factory so that what I put on it. The old prop had no markings and unfortunately was recycled. That is my question for today. Is this the wrong prop and would this cause the boat to not rev over 3600 RPMs?

Thanks,
Jacob

Maclin

Admiral
A 23 pitch with only 4.3 engine in that 20 footer is almost surely what is called over-pitched. I would start with a 19 pitch and see how it runs then.

AMSOILGUY

Cadet
I purchased a 15 1/2 inch with a 18 pitch 3 blade. i took the boat out with the same load. The boat picked the front end up plained out in few seconds and revved to 5k at one point. So great improvement from where I was at. I pulled a skier and it would not plain out. Motor would only rev to 3k. skier is 150 lbs. So where do I go from here? back to a 14 and stay at the 18 pitch or stay with the 15 1/2 and look for a 19 pitch in that? or 14 with 19 pitch?

I see the post above about the 19 pitch. looks like that could be spot on. I went with the 18 because the local Marina recommended 17 or 19. I went with the middle number. From what I've been reading it's an expensive game finding the right one.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
The prop you have should be better than that at popping up a skier if it can over-rev like that with lighter load.

Is it 2 skis? Or slalom? Experienced skier? Right size skis?

Do you trim down all the way at first, passengers up front? Then begin to trim up slowly as the skier comes up?

It is conceivable that you could need a 17p for skiing and a 19p for cruising. Based on the RPM's now it seems the 19p is closer to what is needed for crusing/top speed. But again, the 18p should get a skier up.

AMSOILGUY

Cadet
the skier popped right up with what I have. I didn't have anybody in front and didn't know you needed to trim the motor up. I just left it down the whole time. Couple things to try and sure would be a pain to have to change props for family fun. Thanks for your response.

Maclin

Admiral
Ok, good deal! I put too much of the "boat won't plane" into the Skier's side of the experience. The "skier popped right up" is good feedback. That 18 should be ok then, just get used to how the boat behaves with the trim :) Bump the trim up slowly as the skier gets planed and the boat approaches the 25 mph range. Might try and see how much of a trim-up position for a holeshot works with not too much bowrise.

Good luck out there...

AMSOILGUY

Cadet
So what is to many rpms? I shut it down at 5k because it just sounded like it should be.