Prop suggestion for 1976 Mercruiser 140 Stern Drive on a Deckette deck boat

chevy91174

Recruit
I was given a 1976 Deckette Deck Boat from a friend. Been setting up a couple of years. The problem is the existing prop is badly chewed up and needs replacement. I doubt I would get much useful info by testing WOT operation with it, besides it would probably vibrate pretty bad. The stamping on the prop barrel is illegible, looks like to says "1012" but that doesn't make much sense. Best I can tell measuring, it is a 14" to 14.5" prop, but hard to say as there is a lot of blade material loss. Aluminum 3 blade. I just don't know where to start with a replacement. Anyone have a suggestion for where to start? Props are a little too expensive to have to change too many times, and I really can't think of a way to baseline this combo. Anyone have a similar setup?

Boat: 1976 Deck Boat "Deckette
Motor: 1976 Mercruiser 140 HP Stern Drive
WOT ROM range: 4200 - 4600
Weight: best I can find online says 1800 lbs
Usage: will be for pleasure cruising with 2 - 4 people, and maybe pull a tube on occasion. All around performance/cruising.
I can't seem to find an owners manual available, but I did get a service manual for the engine/stern drive.

chevy91174

Recruit
No Title

The boat is 16' long and 6 1/2' wide. Pic attached so you can see the hull.

Attachments

• photo267434.jpg
    photo267434.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0

Maclin

Admiral
Ok, I'm goin' in :)

If the engine is in good condition and running well in top tune, and running at 1500 feet elevation or less, then I think a 19 pitch would be a good place to start. Where are you located?

chevy91174

Recruit
I'm in central Texas. My home lake, Medina Lake, is at 1062 elevation. The engine is in surprisingly good shape. After changing the gas and all other fluids, spark plugs, and setting the points/timing, it idles great at about 800. Advances nicely. This is all on land without much load though. I'll certainly be tuning it to optimum performance. Oh, and the compression checked within tolerances too. So I think it'll run pretty well. What prop diameter are you figuring with? 14.5"? 15"? Looking at the selection on this site, it pulls up 14" thru 15" props. My lower unit would have problems putting anything much larger than that on it. Thanks for the help, BTW