71 Johnson 50 hp Initial Prop?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
LOL!! Dump Away!!
Any thoughts or advice are welcome!

​But to that point, I was worried about that too, so I had asked about that in another post in the Hull Repair forums..
​I was advised to, and did, test drill and refill with Epoxy..
​Shavings came out light colored and dry, so guessing it's the gel-coat or just surface cracks..

​Thanks for pointing that out though, If I hadn't noticed it, I'd have wanted to know! :)

​I'll take the trim tab off and see if there's paint or whatever that might be keeping it from seating properly..
​I take it you're saying it looks like it's not seated all the way, and therefore It would be good to check it out...

​Now for the props then... If I get the trim tab seated better, and the 14 clears it just fine (albeit, very slightly)
​Would you recommend using the 14 or the 13-1/4?

​Don't want to use both as I might be able to return the one I don't use.. (As long as I don't use it.. lol)
​Neither prop has seen water or grease or anything.. Just sliding on the shaft to check clearance at this point.
​Will do proper install with grease etc.. once I determine the one to use...

​Thanks jimmbo !!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Personally I prefer the 14 inch prop. Blade shape, cup, looks like a bit more rake to it.

Near the boat drain hole, it looks like a bigger crack. Where did you drill you test holes?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
From inside, about as low as I could get and about 6-8 inches apart all along the bottom of the transom..

​14.. Ok..
Well, if the trim tab seats better, I'll re-check how it fits..
Thanks again jimmbo!!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, trim tab didn't seat any better...
So, decided to use 13-1/4 x 17 since it seems that's what's "standard".
Might just keep 14 too at this point. Could try it later when trim tab seats better. (Replaced etc..)

Prop definitely made a difference... finally got to adjust tilt (manually).. Boat finally got some speed so had cavitation for the first time.. lol..

Took care of that with tilt adjustments..