1995 stingray 556zp 3.0 I/O Prop advice??? photo included

Ephenj09

Cadet
I have had a lot of time on a boat but havent owned one myself. Ran into an issue with the out-drive and had to buy another alpha one gen 2, was lucky and got a refurbished one for 450$. My problem is the prop that came on the boat is in the bottom of a lake since the out-drive completely exploded at only 5knots. Upon inspection it looked like a bearing seized up and started to spin in the lower units case and bound up and popped. Or the seller I got it from whacked something and it was just a matter of time before it would blow since its structural integrity got weak. Before you jump to asking if there was oil in it, Yes there was I changed it right after purchasing it, used quicksilver sae90 in it, and did all the other maintenance needed prior to all this happening.

Anyway I just want to know because for the life of me searching google I can't seem to find what the stock oem size prop that came on the 1995 stingray 556zp. I know you can mess with different pitches to get more hole shot, top speed, cruising etc, but I just want to know what it originally came with so I can have a starting point and order one. Thank you in advance if you can help. It's WOT is 4600 or 4800rpm and its a mercruiser 3.0liter. I can confirm it once I get to where the boat is being stored/worked on. If you need any other information to help me find the answer I'll do my best to reply quickly.

Just for your viewing pleasure and my embarrassment here is a photo of the after math WARNING VERY GRAPHIC lol jk

Thanks for your time

-Jay

Attachments

• photo265781.jpg
    photo265781.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 0

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
It would be great to have the ratio of the drive, but I believe most of those are 1.65:1. More experienced folks will probably chime in.

Ephenj09

Cadet
The Drive ratio is 1.98
the out board system is mercruiser alpha one gen 2
engine is a mercruiser 3.0 liter 4cylinder
1995 stingray 556zp

Ephenj09

Cadet
no prop guys on here can help me figure this out wanted to try and get the boat in the water by the weekend.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
What is size and weight of the boat. With a 3.0 on my 17 ft 2300 lb bowrider I ran a 19"" or 17" three blade for cruising or skiing, 18" or 16" 4 blade for cruising or skiing. 4 blade props improved holeshot and low speed planing, gave up some top end. If your boat is heavier I'd look for a 15"

Maclin

Admiral
I found a thread on here from 2011 where a new owner had obtained your exact model of boat. He needed a new prop also, put on a 21p,
with these firsthand results...

I did put a new prop on it (21 pitch) and we topped out at 47 mph (according to speedo, not gps). Everything functioned as it should (trim, steering, lighting).

Normally I recommend starting with a 19p and adjust as you experiment on the water. But Stingrays are light and very speed focused on their hull designs, so a 3blade 21p would probably be a good place to start for your boat based on this real-world review.

LInk to post is here...:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...ime#post579863

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
With a 3.0, I would start with a 19. I had a 5.0 in my 609 ZPX and was still only running a 19. Stingrays fly.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Don't know where the other prop regulars are on this thread, but if my calculations are correct, and with a 10% slip and a 19 pitch, I've got 40 mph at 4800 rpm. Sounds about right for a 3.0 to me.

Ephenj09

Cadet
Thanks guys you have helped out so much I can't thank you enough. I know this might be a dumb question but are the diameters all the same size? If not what should that be?

For example when I talk to this guy that can get me a deal on them do I say I just need a 19p prop or are they all like a standard size. I looked at the stingray website and it said 13 3/4 x 21. So do I word it like that 13 3/4 x19?

Finding boat parts is a total different ball game. Finding Dirt-bike/pit-bike/motorcycle parts is wayyyyyy easier LOL.

Thanks again for all your help.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Stingray hulls are fast and performance orientated. Even with a modest 4.3, they are known to run in excess of 60 mph in the 18-20ft class.
With a likely gear ratio around 1.90-1....I'd be running a 21" for starters and see where you are, then perhaps make an educated guess on a decent stainless, like the hull deserves. I'd be pretty sure it would either be a 21-23" you'd want to do the boat justice.
All available stats required for best guess though.
Current prop
Max rpm trimmed up
Gps speed
Confirmed gear ratio.

All the best.

Ephenj09

Cadet
Last question I think everyone missed it when I was chiming in. What Diameter should it be? 13.75x19? or should I go with 13.75x21. Because the one I got with the lower end is a 14.25 and that looks like it was on something much bigger and I don't think the 3.0 will like spinning it to much.

Let me know what you guys think.

thanks.

Maclin

Admiral
More blade area cuts the slip down at expense (sometimes) of RPM. With a 19p your setup should not have any problems with the 14.25 diameter. And probably would be ok even with the 14.25 and the 21p. I do not see any discussion about a stainless. If stainless I think a 14.25 x 19p would be about right. In aluminum props flex more, so you have to consider the material sometimes with the numbers being thrown around.

Just curious if you looked through the links from the other 556ZP owner. They have not posted since July 2012. Just kinda feels like you could have bought that same boat... :)

Ephenj09

Cadet
Nah its not the same boat I saw that post mines different color and isn't a 1996 its a 1995.

So going aluminum 14.25 diameter you feel would be ok still to run even as aluminum and even though I'm running the little 3.0l mercruiser 4 banger? I was shooting for a 13.75x21 aluminum. the 14.25 just seems enormous when I put it on, I have a white metal 14.25x21 but do not want to run it in the lake that I am in since its FILLED and I MEAN FILLED with boulders everywhere.

Thanks for all the reply's, greatly appreciate it.

Maclin

Admiral
I think 14.25 will work, your boat is really light for the 18' range. But it is your feelings that have to be in the equation, so either one will be fine in my opinion.

Ephenj09

Cadet
So we took it out on a lake that doesn't have any rocks and is a basically 30 feet plus where ever you go. That being said and knowing the lake really well, I threw the 14.25x21p and was extremely surprised how well it did. If anything I felt it possibly pulled out of idle cruise better than what ever prop it came with. I wish I knew what it came with never struck me to check it. From the results today I'm am going to go with a 14.25x21p aluminum. Better yet It definitely gained a few mph/knots on the big end, Although I didn't completely go wot at 4400rpm we were doing over 45. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Ephenj09

Cadet
On the lowrance GPS fish finder it came with I was able to calculate max speed reached and chart all the places I go in the lake to avoid the rocks. Trimmed up you guys were totally right the boat absolutely fly's. It almost hit 5,000 rpm more like 4800rpm when I trimmed it way up, then I backed off the throttle right away but before that and with a little chop on the lake it reached 47.43mph aka ground speed. Definitely a neat hull design it doesn't really like to go slow, your always playing with the wheel at less than 5 to 10 knots. Anything over 25 or 30 its at home and if you rip a sharp turn it def feels like the ass wants to slide out. Absolute blast of a boat to drive.

Ephenj09

Cadet
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the reply's on here you all have been extremely nice and helpful. You go on some snowboard forums and all they do is bash your comments.

Since I'm posting again does anyone have a good suggestion where to get a good boat cover?