Motor and prop

Codyc22

Recruit
I recently bought an 88 ranger with an xp 150. It has a jack plate on the back, seems to be pretty slow to get to plane, the prop of it now is a 14 1/2 x 25 raker i do believe. Im new to having my own bass boat and dont really know where to start. My rpm gauge and mph gauge does not currently work. Just got the boat a week ago havent had time to fix it yet. Would it be a good idea to get a different prop?! Thanks in advance

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no, it would be a good idea to understand your speed and RPM as well as use of tilt/trim and jack plate prior to looking at new prop

also, with your 30 year old boat, you may want to weigh it to see if your carrying around 800# of water (water soaked foam)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats
Since you just acquired this Boat and Motor, it would be a better Idea to get the Tach and Speedo working and get some numbers so you know where your are starting from. Did you have the engine checked over prior to purchase?
Rakers are a well engineered prop, and were usually even numbers, but... maybe it's a Raker II.