do i have a problem ?

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so here it is, not sure if I have a problem .. I just bought a new boat .. it has a Volvo penta 4.3 cat 200hp on a 19ft four winns boat runs great it has lots of power .. it has a 14.3 x21 prop and a 2.18 to 1 gear ratio.. at WOT it only turns 4200 rpm. it get there easy and my top speed is around 40 ..batteries went dead on my gps so iam going off the speedo meter .. Volvo says the engine is rated for 5800rpm not getting anything close to that ..iam thinking maybe there is a factory limiter on it or the throttle is out of adjustment .. like I said this is a new boat so iam not sure if there is even a problem ... any thoughts would be great !!!

Bondo

Staff member
Volvo says the engine is rated for 5800rpm

Ayuh,.... Where did ya get that info,..??..??

The 4.3l is rated to run at 4800 rpms at Wot,....

A 19" pitch will put ya right at the top of the range,....

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Iam going off volvo's web site .. if i went to a 19" would i lose my out of the hole power .. the boat absolutely jumps out of the hole.. i dont want to lose that, but I would like a little more top end , but i am willing to sacrifice a little to keep my low end power .. the dealer I bought the boat from sell alot of boat for the lake tahoe area which is about 6400 ft .. iam thinking maybe they set it up for that .. anyways maybe iam just creating an issue that doesn't exist..

Attachments

• photo265587.PNG
    photo265587.PNG
    385.7 KB · Views: 0

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think that info is wrong. A 4.3 Volvo top rpm is 4800 at around 5100 you will hit the rev limiter. On the V8s I think its 5200

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With a 19 pitch as Bondo recommends, combo will achieve better hole shot with slight less top end speed. As combo works in altitude, need to better wot rpm for OB to work towards middle or max wot range. Check precise wot rpm range factory stated.

Bear in mind that if you dial a prop for that to happen, when combo is working at sea level will need to install a much larger pitch prop or rev limiter will kick in fast at reduced throttle.

Happy Boating

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everybody for the info, not sure what I'll do.. I might just leave it where it's at ..

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat gets used at or slightly above sea level .. not a fan of tahoe for boating,(always rough and windy, water is to damn cold to enjoy) but it is beautiful to look at !! What would be good for more top end if i wanted to give up a little holeshot ?.. it will damn near throw u out of the seat when you hit it from idol .. the DI engine has lots of low end , probably could give some up after second thought!!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With props as usually loaded there are 2 nice options to go after.

-If OB revs around middle wot range, will have good hole shot and slight better top end speed.

-If OB revs towards max wot range, will have a much better hole shot with a slight top end decrease.

How much speed will gain/lose, hard to tell. But it's not a wow out of this world difference.

It all boils down to what you prefer most, you only have the answer.

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
And if you prop for the bottom of the wot range, you will have poor hole shot and lower top speed

Getting rid of the Wife, kids, mother in law, especially the mother in law will help performance greatly. Girlfriends and Mistresses can remain aboard though.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And if you prop for the bottom of the wot range, you will have poor hole shot and lower top speed

Getting rid of the Wife, kids, mother in law, especially the mother in law will help performance greatly. Girlfriends and Mistresses can remain aboard though.

HAHAHAHA. But when you loose the boat in the divorce, you will loose the girlfriends and the mistress. Then you're totally screwed.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
HAHAHAHA. But when you loose the boat in the divorce, you will loose the girlfriends and the mistress. Then you're totally screwed.

So the lesson, as put forth in the Documentary 'Married with Children', is "Look into the dead that are my eyes, and you can see l'm Married"

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the lesson, as put forth in the Documentary 'Married with Children', is "Look into the dead that are my eyes, and you can see l'm Married"

It is like we have the word MARRIED stamp across our foreheads.