2009 caravelle br186

Fiftyfifty1

Recruit
hi and thank you ahead of time .. when I purchased this boat it had a 3 blade 19 pitch 14,5 inch aluminum prop I want to increase my speed while keeping my handling also I bought a 14 inch 4 blade 19 pitch prop it has caused a loss in rpm and top speed . what do you guys suggest for a new prop I read somewhere I was suppose to reduce my pitch on a four blade compared to a 3 blade does anyone have specs I can go by to ensure proper performance and not over load motor

jkust

Rear Admiral
So getting on the same page as you....that looks to be the final year of Caravelle and is their smallest model weighing in at about average for the class at 2700lbs dry with a 3.0 as the base engine. Some that size will weigh just over 2000lbs and some higher end brands will weigh over 3000lbs and also have larger gas tanks....weight is a huge factor. Does it have the base 3.0 or something larger? If it is a 3.0, they run out of steam pretty fast when you start adding blades or get fancy with the blade geometry. Give us the RPM's at Wot and some speed numbers for both props that you have tried. When you refer to 'overloading' the engine, you are describing lugging the engine which is not a good thing.

Fiftyfifty1

Recruit
My apologies I couldn't sign back on 4000 rpm at about 35 mph I had a 3 blade prop 19degree pitch 14.5 inch I swapped.to a 14 inch 19 degree prop by mistake my motor.would.run high rpms at reduced.speeds . I have the 3.0 tks mercruser nothing big nothing fancy great deal on on the boat . I figured out my question what I was trying to confirm was if I go four blade do i need.to decrease degrees by one example 19 degree 3 blade 14.5 inch to a.4 blade 18 degree 14.5 inch prop.thanks to the iboats prop.selector it answered.this question for.me.thanks.though trust me I will be asking many questions in the future lol I don't pull but a tube hardly ever any skiers mostly just cruise.around kinda boat .

Bondo

Staff member
4000 rpm at about 35 mph I had a 3 blade prop 19degree pitch 14.5 inch

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Yer over-propped with the 19" prop,...

Ya gotta prop it to run 'bout 4800 rpms at Wot,...

I'm thinkin' even the 18" pitch is gonna be to much prop,...