1990 Evinrude 25hp propeller recommendations for 12.5' Dinghy

mtb_prodigy

Cadet
So I recently bought and restored a 1990 25hp 2 stroke evinrude for my Sea Eagle Dinghy (hard plastic floor). I plan on having about 3 passengers most of the time each weighing about 155lbs. At times there will be about 5 people on the boat but not too often. Dinghy weighs about 150. I cant figure out what size prop to get and really dont want to buy a tach. I dont care about going 2-3 miles per hour faster at WOT with 3 people if that means Im going to barely be moving or having a hard time planing with 5 people. It seems that the stock propeller included is a 10.1" x 13 pitch prop. Here are the recommended props from Solas (specifically the Amita 3). Anyone have experience or just happen to know which prop would be suitable for my applications? Thanks in advance!
119R2211-110-09
10.511R2211-105-11
10.312R2211-103-12
10.113R2211-101-13
1014R2211-100-14
1015R2211-100-15

Edit: I also just read about the "hustler" prop from Turning Point. It seems that most people favor these instead so I could go for one of these. Not sure if its worth the extra money though. Any thoughts?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Prodigy, please dont start multiple topics in multiple forums about the same subject.

Thank you

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... What's this dingy rated for,..?? Weight,..?? Horsepower,..??

It sounds severely overloaded, 'n over powered at this point,...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's funny investing over 2 grand on that Sib and don't want to spend an extra $ 35.00 on a nice induction tach. Sorry to ruin the water party but without one any prop you go after will be a wild guess. Need to tach factory delivered prop with 3 up and check max achieved wot revs on flat calm water cond. If no good, dial a prop for OB to rev towards max wot rpm (if possible) with 3 up so when with 5 up OB revs around safe middle wot range. For that to happen must know min-max wot rpm range factory stated for that OB.

If OB is not tached will surely work towards the lugging side when heavily loaded. Too much rod and piston stress going on inside powerhead which definitely is no bueno. Air top tubes and air deck if happens to have one to factory specs or Sib won't perform no good....

Happy Boating

mtb_prodigy

Cadet
I may end up getting a tach. But Im looking for recommendations on where to start. Having a tach at the moment wouldnt be useful because I dont have a prop to try and get readings. Im just trying to increase my chances of ending up with the right prop so I dont have to buy more than 1. I was hoping that someone with a similar setup could chime in.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Got you point, your starting point is your current factory delivered stock prop assuming it's stock.

On real boating world you need to tach current prop as usually loaded, OB should run at least middle to max wot rpm. From there can go for a prop maximization say one less pitch to pull wot revs higher if in need, but won't know achieved + wot revs till you test a second prop on a water trail along tach to compare wot rpm differences between both pitch props.

Stock props are usually medium pitched, you should go for a prop maximization once OB has ended it's break in period or when buying a second hand combo if assuming current prop is not a good performer for your particular boating needs.

Any OB will push, plane out a boat, but will it be safe for OB as no to lugg badly the engine or pull a rod out crankcase. Weight and prop pitch, whether being a 3-4 blade prop is all about for boating fun..

Happy Boating

mtb_prodigy

Cadet
Got you point, your starting point is your current factory delivered stock prop assuming it's stock.

On real boating world you need to tach current prop as usually loaded, OB should run at least middle to max wot rpm. From there can go for a prop maximization say one less pitch to pull wot revs higher if in need, but won't know achieved + wot revs till you test a second prop on a water trail along tach to compare wot rpm differences between both pitch props.

Stock props are usually medium pitched, you should go for a prop maximization once OB has ended it's break in period or when buying a second hand combo if assuming current prop is not a good performer for your particular boating needs.

Any OB will push, plane out a boat, but will it be safe for OB as no to lugg badly the engine or pull a rod out crankcase. Weight and prop pitch, whether being a 3-4 blade prop is all about for boating fun..

Happy Boating

Yeah, I guess Ill just order the stock prop and try that first. The one thats on there right now is so beat up that I dont wanna run it. All three blades are severely damaged one of them is even missing a nice chunk. Im worried about vibration at high RPM's. Thanks for the advice Sea Rider.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You're welcome. Would suggest testing with beaten prop, it's only a short wot spin as usually loaded on calm flat water cond., Won't break anything. Why do you need to do this. If buying same new stock prop and doesn't run say middle to max wot rpm range you'll be dumping money straight into the deep blue, unless you can swap it at dealer for other pitch one to test.

Could go from stock to a less pitch prop to pull wot revs up if in need. It's a wiser prop investment. Must know factory mim-max wot rpm range, install a Hardline Hour/tach, program fire sequence, report achieved max wot numbers. Can go from there...

Happy Boating