Pontoon Mercruiser 140 Prop

I have a 24' Harris floatbote pontoon with the Mercruiser 140 inboard motor. It has a 3 blade prop on it now and I havnt had it out now for 4 years but the problem was when going on the lake it acted like it spun out in the water unless I was the only one on the boat then it would normally plane out and take off but if more then the driver it would just spin out. I have a friend that has a different boat that had a 3 blade that he said was doing the same thing and he put a 4 blade prop on it and it fixed the problem so what prop do I use?

​Numbers on the engine and prop now.

Attachments

• photo264839.jpg
    photo264839.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo264840.jpg
    photo264840.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo264841.jpg
    photo264841.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo264842.jpg
    photo264842.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, you find out if your hub is spun. you draw a line across the prop, and the prop shaft nut, then go for a ride. if the line is no longer lined up, your hub spun and you simply get it repaired

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Your friend fixed the prop problem installing a new one due to being kaputt the previous one, that's for sure. Make a prop slip test on yours. Remove prop, turn it upside down, mark a straight line or 2 dots facing each other with a white marker, Install back on OB, go for a wot spin as if stealing the combo for 1 minute, remove prop and check if white line or dots have moved from where originally marked. If so, prop hub is shot. Need a new prop.

Hub Slip Test.JPG

The new dilemma is : Buy same new one or one with one less pitch ? as you haven't tached old one on a wot run as usually loaded won't know if it was a good performner..

Happy Boating