Mercury props.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Just picked up a 2002 225 EFI
Came with 2 props.
​The one on it is a Mirage SS 17p
​The spare looks like the standard one.
​SS 17p but shorter and wider blades.

I'm guessing that the guy paid a bunch of $$ and was using the Mirage that it's probably the better of the 2??

The cavitation plate has a zinc with no fin.
​Again guessing the fin is missing because the bigger blades on the Mirage would hit the fin??
​I've seen fins that are almost thin as a pencil? might that fit on there?

I know the fin's supposed to help the steering?
​I have hydraulic​ steering.
Will that affect anything if the fin's not there?

Thanks for the help?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hey Jerry...
If it's a Merc 225 efi that I am thinking of, it will be of the big v6 outboard type ?
If so, the engine must have been on a fairly big and heavy boat, having a 17"p prop ? Maybe a centre console Boston whaler type fisher or cruiser ?
I'm more familiar with these engines on 18-21 ft performance speedboats. This being the case, your average prop would be at least 21", to perhaps 25"P.

What boat do you intend to the engine on? Unless it is indeed a big heavy boat, you will probably find the 17" useless.
Cheers

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ps, wouldn't worry about the fin. Don't need it on certain applications. Especially if you have power or assisted steering.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Thanks.
​Had the same motor on the same style boat(transom went bad and sold motor)
​That motor had a 19p alum. And the rpm's were right at 5500.??
​The 17p is SS and should be the close to the alum??

​Does this motor have a rev limiter?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Jerry, i don't see any reason not to try the Mirage - I think that is a big ear prop so it will push a lot more water. I wouldn't be afraid to take the engine up to 6000 rpm so you can see where that prop puts you at - i had my force 125 to 6 grand several times playing with props - not a big deal on a 2-stroke. Of course I wouldn't prop it for that high but at least you can report back some numbers that the prop experts can work with.