I need help finding a new prop

jws123

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1990 larson hampton 22ft with a 5.0 305 rebuilt engine Alpha 1 Gen 1 The boat came with NO prop where do i even start? i went to west marine and got 50 different answers lol i want it to get up out of the water and on plane good with the max amount of speed. but i dont know where to start.

Maclin

Admiral
If you are sure the drive ratio is "stock" then I would suggest a basic 19p aluminum to produce some baseline performance numbers while wearing in the engine. If you spring for the ones with separate hub they are a little more than ones with pressed in hubs, but then you can save some later by only having to buy the prop (no hub) if you want to change out.

jws123

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you are sure the drive ratio is "stock" then I would suggest a basic 19p aluminum to produce some baseline performance numbers while wearing in the engine. If you spring for the ones with separate hub they are a little more than ones with pressed in hubs, but then you can save some later by only having to buy the prop (no hub) if you want to change out.

I am prty sure it stock how do i check what ratio it is?

Maclin

Admiral
There is a tag out on the drive, top left when viewing from the rear. (Boating PC Police, please excuse Landlubber references!) If you have no reason to suspect that the boat was not originally configured with a 5.0 then I bet it is stock. In my opinion with a 22 footer and 5.0 that a 19p is good place to start so as not to lug the engine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the 1990 Larson Hampton 220 has a dry weight of 3300# where my SeaRay was 3000 with a vortec 5.0/Alpha putting 220hp. I was running a 15 x 19 Solas stainless prop.

a 15x19 aluminum prop would be my first starting point to get baseline numbers, however with the extra bit of weight, you may need to pitch down a bit, however I think a 15x17 may not be enough prop. you wont know until you get it on the water with a prop on it.

check with your local marina, some have test props they will lend to get you into a prop they can sell you.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
Yeah, really need the gear ratio.
If it's a 1.47, 19" probably too much pitch...
If it's 1.62, 19" be a good start.

jws123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks guys no tags on outdrive it was painted so i will try to check the ratio manually i watched a few vids on how to do it.