Single to Duo Prop

wufibug

Cadet
82 Bayliner 2350. Original setup was Volvo Penta 5.0 with Volvo Penta 280 single prop outdrive. Engine was toast so I rebuilt and marinized a 98 GM 5.7 vortec TBI truck motor. I was given a good set of duo props that are the proper ones for the 280 outdrive but now find the conversion requires more than just getting a dual prop shaft. Is there a kit or am I looking for used parts? In either case, is there a list somewhere of what I need to replace to make the conversion?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You need a new duo-prop lower. Of course, who know if the props you have are the right pitch.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There are 9 different sets of c series props that fit the 280 DP drive, as Bruce indicated, are you sure you have the right props?

To use DP props, you need a complete DP lower unit. Used, you can find for about $1000 in good shape, new....dont even ask

If it was me, sell the two props and get one for your 280sp

wufibug

Cadet
Brutal, but appreciated. I have the original prop and it sounds like I will stick with it. I was told that duo props do great things for these boats which is why I thought about pursuing it. Even if it turned out these props were the right pitch, $1000 for the duo lower end will buy a lot of petrol . . . .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are having a tough time getting up on plane or want to get up on plane faster, the duo-prop system is a great addition. I wouldn't own a boat without it. It comes at a cost though so you have to decide if it's worth it to you.