Need advice on prop size

DCMacGuy

Seaman Apprentice
I've had my boat out twice now since I purchased it - at both mountains and sea level. It's equipped with a 3.0MPI/Alpha 1 and currently has a 3 blade Michigan Apollo XHS Stainless Prop that's 14-1/4x17. The thing will absolutely leap out of the water, but my top end is at about 31 via GPS if I keep it at 4,900 on the tach. If you bury the throttle it will push to an indicated 5,600 - far too high. The (newly replaced and non-matching, much to my chagrin) tach shows it idling at 1,100 which is also high, but the engine idle is 725RPM non-adjustable - given that the 3.0MPI is all electronic I'm inclined to think the tach is probably reading about 375RPM over.

I'm not going to be pulling many skiers out of the water - and I can always throw this prop back on if I need to. If I were to jump to the same prop but in a 21 pitch would that be going too far in the other direction should I have the boat loaded with several people? I'd like to bring my cruising speed up slightly, as well as get a little more top end - but I don't want it to fight hard for 20 seconds to plane with 600lb of people in the boat (properly distributed).

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Some issues :

Boating heavily loaded at sea level and at high altitude which is not known are 2 different scenarios. For the later will need a less pitch to pull up lost wot revs. Check if tach reads well with a second one, could be an induction tach for multi cylinder engines. What's the max wot rpm factory range for that engine ?

Happy Boating

DCMacGuy

Seaman Apprentice
The boat spent the first 5 years of its life at Deep Creek as a rental - which is about 2,400'. It will now mostly spend its life below 500'.

The max rev range is 4400-4800, however the 3.0MPI has a PCM rev limiter, so I am doubtful it is making anywhere close to the tach registered 5600 (not that I would ever push a 3.0 that hard - I don't want it to throw a rod).

I have ordered a Vesselview Mobile SmartCraft bridge for the boat - so hopefully in a week or so I will be getting accurate RPM readings on my phone straight from the CANbus and not off of the tach. That should fix some of this mystery.

I'm going to look around for a prop shop that might let me try one or two to get it figured out.