Prop help please

82rude

Rear Admiral
i have both the solas and oem and prefer the solas big time .Opinions will vary,lol.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Both mint for starters and same dia and pitch.OMC VS SOLAS.The solas holds better slightly in sharp turns and i can cruise at a lower planing speed.Same top end within 1/2 mile an hour.The solas was approx 100 dollars usd vs double for the omc though i got mine for free when i bought my etec.I dont hate the omc Sea Rider i just prefer the solas for when i was using it on my last boat .I still have the same motor but a heavier boat now and am currently in love with a omc sst with 16p.The op is on the right track by taking them all to the lake and testing as he may prefer something else.Dealers are in the business of making money and most will tell you their factory props are better.Sorry should of said BRP in the first sentence im so use to saying omc still.

Last edited:

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer

walleyehed

Admiral
The O.S. 55AX is an RC aircraft engine.. has zero to do with any of this..
As for OEM props, that is just "another" brand and most engine manufacturers don't build their own prop anyway. I will respectfully disagree with OEM being the best prop for an application because they have no control over the boat you are putting it on. There are just many different designs and the only way to find what works best is test, then test some more, then try another. anything above roughly 20HP doesn't come with a prop-there's a really good reason for that. There is no perfect science to this, no perfect answer.. But I will say in my testing, I've been extremely impressed with the versatility of the solas designs. I've found repetitive results to be very acceptable with Solas. Iboats carries the full line of Solas and unless you are getting down to the gnats rear, you will get good performance with Solas as long as it's not a miss-application to start with..

boater1234

Going in the early am to test my props so I will post back my results later tomorrow. Also by this week's end I should have my new resetable hardline tachometer I ordered so I can track rpms as well as hrs.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Tested 2 props, a Solas and a OEM one with same diam/pitch. The Solas gave 200 less wot rpm than thw OEM. Running a very underpowered OB translates into sacrifying best hole shot for slight more top end speed. Preffer a zillion times best hole shot as opposed to slight more top end speed which is rarely used, a fuel comsumption issue.

Boater 1234, you'll love testing props with tachs, a must install being so darn cheap.. Go for the prop that achieves the max wot rpm range as loaded.

Happy Boating

boater1234

Ok,got the tach,what setting should I have it on? 1P1R-1P2R-2P1R.

20hp 4 stroke suzuki is what it's going on so you know. ..

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Tach usually comes factory set at 1P,install it, turn OB-ON, if meter reads low rpm say 800 or so that setting is correct. If reads double need to set it at 2 P, set it right toggling button while OB is ON. Follow instructions. Post wot results for the record.."Thumbs Up"

Happy Boating

Last edited:

boater1234

I was going to go this morning but I figured I give one more day to wait for my tach and it came in so tomorrow morning is test day.

boater1234

Not yet,sorry,been very sick. I'm shooting for this next weds or Thurs as also I'm here in central fl and it has been I mean desert hot out,near 100? for a bunch of days,we're setting record after record with this heat.