Sizing a Bravo 2 prop

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
I have a situation here that I hope you guys might be able to help me sort out. I lost my Bravo 3 last summer to a submerged log. The outer prop broke loose with the shaft attached and the drive ran on saltwater instead of oil, so it is toast. The drive was 2.0 ration with 24P dual props.

I already have a Bravo 2 (same ratio)in a great working condition in my garage that I acquired for a smaller boat I am building as a trailer-able fishing boat. I am thinking of using it for a summer or 2 until I am ready to get a brand new bravo 3X, rebuild the engine and put the entire brandnew power package in. I have two major concerns though I need to consult an expert on

1 - Will the Bravo 2 be sufficient to support the boat (1996 2855 with 7.4L carb merc) given that I am not going to push the limits on it and most of the times, only the 3 of us (wife, son and myself) are on board? I was told before that it will provided I don't push the limits. I just nee to confirm that before I go buy $600-$700 prop.

But the important question that I still did not get an answer for is ....

2- What size prop should I use?! The original Bravo 3 prop is 24P but there are two props on Bravo 3 as you know. Should I try to get the same pitch for a bravo 2 prop? more, less and how can it be determined?

Thanks in advance for your help

alldodge

Staff member
No matter which you look at it, its a crap shoot. 24 pitch B3 should be about the same as a 24 pitch B2, the issue is the "about", so its just a guess. I guess 24

Keep in mind, if you go to a B3-X, the top half is the only thing that is X, the bottom half is a standard B3

Edit: also it will back up to one side and not so straight anymore

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the Bravo 2 is a tug boat / trawler drive intended for big loads. its more than up for the task. its a bit too large of a drive for most trailered boats

as AllDodge pointed out, 24p is 24p. the dual prop helps with bite, then again so does a 20" diameter prop. you wont have the hole shot of the B3 with the B2, however it will push your boat.