Chewed up prop...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Probably about 99%+ percent do no damage to the prop shaft.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Correct, while it can happen, the vast majority of the time there is no damage to the shaft.

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
Years ago I bent a prop, fortunately just the prop. Was able to limp home. $300 mistake

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
When running an aluminum prop, the vast majority of the time the prop takes all the damage, regardless of what you hit.

If running a stainless steel prop, if you hit something hard (rocks), damage can be done to the propshaft and gearcase.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Although you won't bend a prop shaft most of the times, will bend prop blades, need to be straighten at a prop shop. If not, excessive vibration of the prop shaft will end screwing shaft's seals, bearings..

Happy Boating

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
In the past I've messed up an aluminum prop and a bronze prop "without causing damage to the shaft". :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I hit a rock with my VP DP290. Broke one blade off the front prop, folded a blade off the rear prop and sheared the hub. All while in a storm. No damage to prop shaft.

Must have busted 20 some aluminum props and never had an issue with the shaft

However my sister hit a rock with a stainless prop and bent the prop shaft about a half inch. After i fixed it with a new shaft, she hit another rock and sheared the shaft. Luckily she was shallow enough to retrieve the prop and push the boat in. I think i replaced the prop shaft 4 times and the lower twice for her

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I bought a 125 Johnson back in '72 when they first came out. I was running the OEM alum. prop. Guarantee you, Sunday afternoon was the family play day and almost EVERY Monday during my lunch hour, the prop would be in the prop shop for a dog eared blade repair. Finally got tired of that about the time OMC came out with their teflon coated SST and that was the end of the trips to the prop shop. Never a bent shaft.