Minor Prop Damage

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Thers is some minor damage to the SS prop. Not sure if it is bad enough to take it to a prop shop, but probably too much to file with emory cloth. I have read that using a metal file is not a good idea. Looking tor opinions on whether I should leave it alone or not.

DSCF0003_zps6rc2ljuc.jpg

DSCF0002_zpsvdhhiblb.jpg

DSCF0004_zpsepk7w8mp.jpg

Thalasso

Commander
Wouldn't worry about that. If you want to flatten it out get a brass dead blow hammer and back the prop up with a block of wood

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Does it look like the same amount of metal got removed from each blade? If it isn't the prop is out of balance and I would get it fixed.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Does it look like the same amount of metal got removed from each blade? If it isn't the prop is out of balance and I would get it fixed.

All 3 blades have similar damage. PO must have barely hit some pebbles or something like that. No vibration at all.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If you are worried about cutting you hand on it, get out your file and smooth it up. If aesthetics are the problem, get out your file and smooth it up. If still worried go to a boat repair shop and walk around the used boats checking why they are in for service and what do the props look like. Gonna betcha yours is better than 80% in for something besides prop servicing.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
If you are worried about cutting you hand on it, get out your file and smooth it up. If aesthetics are the problem, get out your file and smooth it up. If still worried go to a boat repair shop and walk around the used boats checking why they are in for service and what do the props look like. Gonna betcha yours is better than 80% in for something besides prop servicing.

Not really worried about aesthetics. But was curious about any change in performance with it the way it is. I have read that using a metal file wasn't good on a SS prop. Your thoughts about using a metal file?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take a REALLY close look and see if it looks that the pitch of the blade has been changed AT ALL. If not, use a metal file and clean up the edge. Leaving it like it is can hurt performance in my opinion.

As far as doing the tradeoff of getting it fixed vs running it. If it costs $100 to get it repaired and you burn $1000 of fuel in a year, a 5% performance degradation costs you $50/year. Will take 2 years to break even.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Life is short...put your spare on and drop the damaged one onto be fixed as good as new or alternatively use the damaged prop as a spare and pick up a new ss prop. You can get new ones for practically nothing in the big picture of boating expenses. .

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Since the prop shop is only 4 miles from my house I will just drop it iff and get it checked out. A hundred bucks for repair is a lot cheaper than a new SS prop.
Thanks guys!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I fortunately have Wilmington Propeller within driving distance. They can do a computer analysis of each blade for pitch. I have brought in props that don't even look as bad as yours to get fixed.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I fortunately have Wilmington Propeller within driving distance. They can do a computer analysis of each blade for pitch. I have brought in props that don't even look as bad as yours to get fixed.

The prop guy near me does all sizes of props. Outside his shop he has one hanging that is about 6 feet in diameter. He works on a lot of the props on the boats/ships in the Gulf.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The prop guy near me does all sizes of props. Outside his shop he has one hanging that is about 6 feet in diameter. He works on a lot of the props on the boats/ships in the Gulf.

Sounds good. I bought a set of Volvo duo-props on eBay once that were supposedly re-done by a prop shop in the midwest. Even with my untrained eye I could tell they weren't right. I took them to Wilmington and he checked and found the pitch was off on every blade. They didn't even match each other. I had to get eBay involved to get my money back but I finally did.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Your prop, prop shop close at hand, what are you waiting for? Just offered my opinion and had reasons for it or I wouldn't have been wasting our time.