How much change from 4 blade to 5 blade

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1997 19' BMC bass boat, heavy, but have no idea how many lbs. Mercury Black Max XR4 150hp eng. prop has no name nor # that I can find, it came from a prop shop in Nashville. I was told it was a 13" 24 pi. When taking off, the motor moans & strains for appx. 8 to 10 sec. before it plains off, then maxed out turns right near 5000rpm, just what the manual says it should turn. I have found a 5 blade 24pi High Five prop, for a reasonable $$. Could I expect very much difference in the hole shot or max rpm with this 5 blade compared to the 4 blade? I know there isn't a definite answer, but could I expect a noticeable difference or no difference at all? Thanks, Rick P.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It will most likely drop your RPMs and be slower on hole shot.

A 5 blade would typically have more blade area, so it would put more load on the motor, you would normally drop down in pitch when going with more blades.

​Your best bet would be to take the current prop to a shop that can tell what the pitch actually is, without that info there is no way to know what may work.

​What is the RPM range for your motor? you should be at the upper end with the average load in the boat.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The XR4 WOT range is 5000 - 5600 rpm, and it does prefer to be propped to run at the high end of the range

The High 5 blades are smaller than on 3 and 4 blade props, and the High 5 tends to have a smaller diameter. It is not known as a speed demon, but as prop very well suited for watersports