prop pitch

lil mikey

Cadet
good evening
I'm trying to get my 1996​ ProCraft 21' Tournament Pro 200hp to come up on plane quicker,,I have a 24 pitch prop on now, is going done 2 pitch sizes down too much or not enough?
Thanks Mike

lil mikey

Cadet
All Dodge
Not sure,i really don't get it opened up all the way,I keep her at about 45mph and that's fastest enough for me,,when I'm at 45 I do have another1/3 throttle to go and its at 4200 rpm thanks for the response

alldodge

Staff member
All Dodge
Not sure,i really don't get it opened up all the way,I keep her at about 45mph and that's fastest enough for me,,when I'm at 45 I do have another1/3 throttle to go and its at 4200 rpm thanks for the response

The question relates to determination of the optimum prop for the boat with a regular load.

Boat operates best when the max rpm can be reached with a given pitch prop. A boat which can reach max rpm at WOT will preform most often best with the prop pitch associated with it. If the boat is unable to reach the Manufactures recommended WOT rpm then the prop pitch needs to be reduced, if it over tach's then prop needs to be increased.

Not knowing WOT rpm, then I would say, yes reducing pitch will increase hole shot

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
All Dodge

Throttle lever travel is not linear to rpm change. the last 25% of throttle may only give a 5% percent increase in speed. You really do need to run WOT on occasion. To get an idea of top RPM and can show if the engine performance has dropped over time

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Need to know OB's max factory wot range to check if within specs. Go for a full throttle run on flat calm no wind water cond as usually loaded to know max rpm achieved, compare that reading to max factory range. Will know if prop is right, or go for a less or more prop pitch.

Happy Boating