94' Mercury tracker 40horse

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Without speed and RPM #'s I am going to assume you have engine trouble...... A 13p on a 17' boat with a 40hp & proper setup should plane out fine.....
My bother had a Tracker TX17 with a beat up 70hp evinrude running a 19p prop and it was instantly on plane. If the engine sounds loud (high rpm) when you hit the throttle your prop could have a slipping hub...

70 is almost 2x hp and in the rated hp arena for that boat. Gear box on that 70 is down around 2.33. His is 2.0 A 2.33 will turn a higher pitched prop and get the same results essentially. Now if you were running that 19 on a 2.0 gearbox then yes you have something with the prop being so much higher in pitch than his and getting stellar results in the hole. Setup has something to do with it too.

Just may be that he is experiencing normal planeout (hole shot that isn't a shot) for that boat with that engine......his comment about "a slow steady planeout".

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
He is only turning 4100rpm max with the wind at his back and something like 3200 into the wind (data from his other post)...... I would think a 15p would hit 5k for that boat....

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
He is only turning 4100rpm max with the wind at his back and something like 3200 into the wind (data from his other post)...... I would think a 15p would hit 5k for that boat....

With a 2:1 gearbox and half the rated hp?????????

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
I think his motor has a 1.86 ratio...it's a 4cyl... I'm not 100% sure..
It would be nice to know if it is a v-hull or a mod-v!

Last edited:

Kwaynem

Seaman Apprentice
I always called them flat bottom not sure about the correct identification it is four cylinder though

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
If it's a 4cyl I had the same motor on a 15ft Sylvan Sea Monster. I ran a 11p prop, shot up on plane like a rocket. How long have you owned this boat? Is this the original prop? My thoughts....Inspect you fuel filter, if there is any brown residue...your fuel line needs to be replaced as it is deteriorated and plugging up your filter, thus starving the engine. Check all your spark plugs...are you getting fire on all cyl, just one cyl going dead will affect your engine.

Kwaynem

Seaman Apprentice
I have had it almost a year I changed the plugs the other day but haven't got to take it out I was thinking about the fuel filter today I'll check that thanks