94' Mercury tracker 40horse

Kwaynem

Seaman Apprentice
The prop I have on it is 13 pitch it's on a 17 foot aluminum bass tracker when I take off it won't raise the bow and plane out like it should it just takes off slowly. Sounds like the motor is wanting to go but the boat don't. Can I fix this with a different pitch prop?

jbcurt00

Staff member
What RPMs is it running at WOT?

A 40HP sounds about half the max hp for a 17ftr. Maybe less then half.

Whats the Tracker rated for?

Kwaynem

Seaman Apprentice
It's rated for a 60 the rpm guage isn't working I figured that would be asked I should of fixed it and found out before I posted

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What's the history of the rig? Should one expect a newly developed problem or a problem that has existed due to bad selection of components?

Kwaynem

Seaman Apprentice
Not new to boating just never had this problem before was wondering if it was a prop issue

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Could be a prop issue if OB has never been tached, badly propped specially if running an under powerd OB that needs desperatly a prop maximization to plane faster as currently loaded.

Happy Boating

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Sales brochure says the gear ratio is 2:1 and available props for that engine are 8-19P. You are in a 17' boat, telling us you don't have a hole shot, then telling us that it hasn't been calm enough for you to go out which speaks volumes about a heavy load on the engine. You said you have a 13P prop. or average pitch for those available/recommended from Mercury. We don't know how well your engine is running otherwise but some data would really help. A gut feel would be that you need to get closer to 8P but with no data, who knows how close.

If you could give us some numbers on speed and rpms. Other things is how is the engine trimmed? How does the horizontal plate just above the prop line up with the bottom of the boat if you take a yard stick and run it out from flat with the bottom of the boat and across the plate? Is the plate parallel to the yardstick? Is it above or below? If so, how far?

What kind of load do you have in your boat. What's at the transom in the way of you (tiller steering engine???) how much do you weigh, gas- how much and where, live well- how big and where, batteries- how many, how big? What's up in the bow?

Kwaynem

Seaman Apprentice
Sales brochure says the gear ratio is 2:1 and available props for that engine are 8-19P. You are in a 17' boat, telling us you don't have a hole shot, then telling us that it hasn't been calm enough for you to go out which speaks volumes about a heavy load on the engine. You said you have a 13P prop. or average pitch for those available/recommended from Mercury. We don't know how well your engine is running otherwise but some data would really help. A gut feel would be that you need to get closer to 8P but with no data, who knows how close.

If you could give us some numbers on speed and rpms. Other things is how is the engine trimmed? How does the horizontal plate just above the prop line up with the bottom of the boat if you take a yard stick and run it out from flat with the bottom of the boat and across the plate? Is the plate parallel to the yardstick? Is it above or below? If so, how far?

What kind of load do you have in your boat. What's at the transom in the way of you (tiller steering engine???) how much do you weigh, gas- how much and where, live well- how big and where, batteries- how many, how big? What's up in the bow?

I will check the angle of the motor tomorrow like you said and everything else

Kwaynem

Seaman Apprentice
I work seven twelves and I'm wore out please be patient cause I'm wore out lol

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Without speed and RPM #'s I am going to assume you have engine trouble...... A 13p on a 17' boat with a 40hp & proper setup should plane out fine.....
My bother had a Tracker TX17 with a beat up 70hp evinrude running a 19p prop and it was instantly on plane. If the engine sounds loud (high rpm) when you hit the throttle your prop could have a slipping hub...

Kwaynem

Seaman Apprentice
It don't sound loud I can jam the throttle down and it just takes off slowly

b.gagnon

Is the primer bulb staying firm when the engine is running? if not it could have a leak or need a fuel pump.... Is it sparking on both cyls????
You should start a new post in the engine forum. But you are still going to need RPM #'s.....

Kwaynem

Seaman Apprentice
Rpms are posted above. The bulb may be the problem cause it never gets firm

b.gagnon

I don't see the rpm's being posted??? What are they????

b.gagnon

Just noticed that you have two Threads going for the same problem...... Not a good idea due to confusion it can cause.
unless your boat is running crazy heavy, or your AV plate is sitting well below the bottom of the hull. You have an engine problem...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Rpms are posted above. The bulb may be the problem cause it never gets firm

When priming before starting you must have a tight bulb. Otherwise cracks in the fuel line, fuel pump diaphragm, or carb fuel inlet needle valve not seating and shutting off fuel flow. When running it will be soft, but not collapsed as fuel is flowing through it.