Why should I have a Hi thrust prop on a 9.8hp kicker?

landslr

Cadet
While discussing a kicker for my 1701 Starcraft, it was recommended that I get a High Thrust motor. I bought a long shaft Tohatsu 9.8 hp four stroke motor. The std prop on that motor is 8.9 dia 7 pitch 3 blade. The high thrust model has a prop that is 8.7 dia 7 pitch 4 blade. Do I really need a high thrust prop? If so, what is it going to do for me. The prop is not very expensive, I just don't know if I really have a need for one although it is always nice to have a spare.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Whichever 3 or 4 blade prop you choose, must rev OB as usually loaded towards 6K which is the max rpm range. For that will need a tach to check that, once wot revs are known, can go for a prop maximization. If going for a 4 blade will need to drop 1 less pitch to a 6 pitch.

Happy Boating

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The 4 blade prop will have more blade area, which equals more bite and less slip, it will also work better in reverse, which can be helpful.

​For low speed operation this works out very well, which is how a Kicker is used all the time.

phillnjack2

Ensign
High thrust prop will definitely be better for you.
with an ordinary prop on a kicker motor if you just go full throttle from zero the propeller will just spin and be like a slipping clutch on a car for a while..
the high thrust will bite almost straight away and the boat will move etc. also even more noticeable in a quickly needed revers/stop situation.
if for a kicker motor I would go high thrust prop every time.

landslr

Cadet
Ok I'm convinced, will order the hi-thrust 4 blade prop. Std prop will become the spare. Thanks for the explanations. As always quick and informative.