should i stall smart tabs on my 2015 Tahoe Q7I extreme?

marty maiden

Recruit
I have a 250HP 4.5 merc inboard.

I am reading up on these smart tabs and I am curious if I should install these smart tabs on my boat. I asked the dealer and they told me not to install and would decrease the proformance. he said these new hauls are amazing and blah blah blah....hahahha

is he right or should I stall smart tabs?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

I agree with the dealer, your putting something in the water that will increase drag, my opinion, others will be along shortly

jbcurt00

Staff member
Whats going on w the factory hull that makes you think you need to add smart tabs?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Two thoughts here;

The dealer doesn't want to sell and install an unneeded accessory which would pad his wallet and not benefit your wallet because the boat is as good as he says.

The other thought is use the boat and see if you think handling needs improvement.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Unless you actually need them they are of no value, so what is it that you don't like about it now?

marty maiden

Recruit
hi there, i was just reading about these smart tabs and they say that they will ideal for tubing at low speeds, handle choppy water better and save on gas costs. . i havnt bought yet but just looking for most comfortable ride for my wife that has a bad back is the most important reason.

thanks for your input.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
hi there, i was just reading about these smart tabs and they say that they will ideal for tubing at low speeds, handle choppy water better and save on gas costs. . i havnt bought yet but just looking for most comfortable ride for my wife that has a bad back is the most important reason.

thanks for your input.

​They won't fix a problem you don't have, but they don't have many downsides either, so if you don't mind the cost they may help.

jbcurt00

Staff member
And does any improvement in cruising ride/handling overcome a slight drop in top end at WOT?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If it doesn't need them, don't fit them.
Never been a fan of drilling holes in a boat...especially if it's not required !

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2002
Tahoe that needs quite a bit of throttle to get up on plane and will drop off plane very easily. Smart tabs (or any tabs) can help the boat get up on plane quicker and stay on plane with a lot less throttle.
Smart tabs are always "deployed" and as such always drag through the water regardless of speed, though they can be a good compromise for smaller boats that don't have room for hydraulics and electronics packages to control regular tabs.