difference in props

danintruder

Seaman
last fall i put on a trophy plus 13 3/4x21 on my stratos 219F/175 intruder 1996 and the result was great ! great holeshot and around 50mph/gps at around 5500-5600 coming from a shooter 25p on the boat when bought that would do 50.5 MPH at 5050 with baad holeshot i am happy with the trophy ! but now i would like to get a spare prop and maybe a raker 3 blade or a renegade bass 4 blade ? what is the difference between the renegade and trophy ? i read a lot on these and it seems 4 blades is better since i do not need max top speed and better control and lower speed on plane ! could the renegade bass pitch be different or raker ? it all depens on what i find used aroun here ! thanks .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
When combo runs wot at 5500-5600 rpm, is it turning at full factory wot rpm range with Trophy 21 pitch as usually loaded ? If so, combo is experiencing good hole shot, good top end speed, good fuel comsumption throughout the whole throttle range. What other improvements are you trying to accomplish ? Personally would stay with current good overall performance prop it it were running at its full wot rpm.

Happy Boating

danintruder

Seaman
i will keep that prop and i did get it at $100 + hub kit $75 so great ! but i am on the lookout for a deal spare prop just in case and am wondering how the renagade works by comparison or the raker.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Find one and see if the owner will let you 'try before buy', based of course, on 'you break, you bought'.

Chris........

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Different props perform differently on different boats.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, dialing best performance prop is a science, need to water test each one in order to find out if top for your current boat, load application. Add patience, time spent testing and money too. To each boat/OB combo, its own prop.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

danintruder

Seaman
i understand that, 3 outboard and two boats have taught me some and your forum and lots of research too since 15 + years owning boats.
but what i am asking is : anyone tryed the two models mentioned to learn the differences between them so i can jump on a deal when it comes up around here ! i was lucky once and would like to try to do the same again since this will be a spare or a different situation prop .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For a positive, negative answer will need to find someone with same equal boat, engine HP and load who has tested both mentioned props at wot preferably on flat no windy water cond....

Have not answered if 5500-5600 wot rpm is the max rpm factory stated. As I'm already running a top prop for my set-up, my second emergency spare is exactly same.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How loaded were you boating when engine hit 5500-5600 wot rpm, lightly, medium or heavily loaded ? If will "always" go boating as currently loaded when achieved max wot rpm factory stated, you're already at top of the prop rpm peak with overall excellent combo performance.

It's dumping money into the blue if going blindy buying a different prop, unless someone lends you the ones you're looking for to test at wot for free. Would buying a spare exact same be out of the question ?

Happy Boating

danintruder

Seaman
it was loaded as it will always be for fishing exept for maybe 15 gls less than full of gas and i agree the same prop would be good, i expect when tank full it will max out around 5500 wich is perfect ! but there not often at a good price !

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Personally wouldn't sacrifice neat overall water performance going for props that costs less, know nothing about them to save some money and surely dropping excellent gained water performance as currently loaded. Boating at max wot rpm range with a fixed load is a plus for any combo.

Happy Boating