Monterey 204 FSX Prop Suggestions

ISP197

Cadet
I am looking for a good replacement prop for my 2015 Monterey 204FSX with a the Volvo Penta V8 270 HP and a 1.60 SX Drive. The boat is about 20 feet in length and weights 3,100 pounds stock. The boat currently has the OEM aluminum Volvo Penta 14 1/4 x 21P, which seems to be a good "all around" prop for average weight loads and cruising. However, when tubing with the kids or having more than the norm in people on board, it seems to be a little sluggish out of the hole with top end being fairly good. But I will admit, I very rarely open it up all the way. WOT for the motor is 4600 - 5000 and I have had it to around 4900 (kinda bouncing between 4800 - 4900) on the tach, with a speed 57 with two people, very light load of fuel, and smooth as glass. But since it was speedo on boat, I do not necessarily believe it. I would like to stay with an aluminum prop and have considered going to a 19P prop for better holeshot knowing I will loose some top end and it will drink a little more fuel. Another thought would be going to a 4 blade 20P, which I think would help with holeshot and mid-range and might not be a killer on fuel consumption (hopefully somebody chimes in on if I am correct on this). Not overly concerned with having the fastest boat, just one that does what I want. Any suggestions or recommendations on replacements? Should I stay with VP brand or are there other aftermarket props that are better for the money. Any help is greatly appreciated...... Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
It your tach is correct your probably hitting the rev limiter at 4900 rpm. If its just close to what your turning, then your good for light load boating.

If you load the boat and want more hole shot you need to reduce pitch, but you will also over rev under light load. You mention going to a 19P which makes me think your using a 21P now. A 20P 4-blade will give you about the same as the 21P 3-blade.

IMO you don't need to stay with VP, just need to find one that fits your wants, which may be a VP prop. My thoughts lean toward a 19Px3 or a 18Px4 prop. Need to find a prop shop or dealer which will allow you to try some.

Now if you contact and buy a prop from Hill Marine, they will change out your prop and all it cost is the shipping of the prop back to them after the initial buy. They will also do modes to the prop.

roffey

Commander
FYI, my boat is 20 feet with a 190 hp I/O. I have a 23p prop and my speedo was reading 56 or there about. My boat is 2600 lb and I would tach about 4800. When I used the GPS on my phone I was about 52.5. I say about because wind and lake conditions make a 2 or 3 MPH difference. I was told an aluminum prop will flex and lose MPH and hole shot.

Please tell me if I am wrong.

roffey

Commander
... and I should mention I do have a 19p prop and the motor will hit the rev limiter with that prop. Having said that, when you hit 4800 or above just throttle down, LOL.:rockon:

ISP197

Cadet
I would have no problem keeping an eye on the tach so I don't over rev. Like I said, I very seldom run WOT. What are some good 19P aluminum props? Any suggestions?

roffey

Commander
I am looking for a prop my self so I cant really give any advice. I just wanted to mention if your motor is over reeving you will know, the motor cuts in and out and as I said just pull the throttle back. It does not sound like you hammer it anyways.

My only suggestion is, if you are looking at a hole shot and water sports you may want to look at the 4 blade prop.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Try distributing deck weight evenly, set trim to neutral position, go full hammer down. Should plane faster. Airplanes go full throttle when gets off the ground, same with boats and worse if pulling a skier...

If current prop is performing right, Ideal is to pull tubes with no other passengers, except driver and a spotter if required, but that's sometimes impossible.

Happy Boating

alldodge

Staff member
I would have no problem keeping an eye on the tach so I don't over rev. Like I said, I very seldom run WOT. What are some good 19P aluminum props? Any suggestions?

This is a tuff one because each boat reacts different to a given prop. The prop can have a more aggressive rake then another which can grab a bit more water at the beginning, or a cup for the finish. These changes are for the most part effect the over all performance of the boat. Years ago when my Rinker was new, I bought a 19P Stiletto SS to use when pulling more then 4 skiers at once. It did great, but I wouldn't use it for anything else. Don't know of the actual brand name which will give you what your looking for. Different manufactures make slight changes which for the most part don't change a lot, they only change one part of the performance band so to speak.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i personally would try a Turning Point Hustler prop. They are ported and will get you on plane a little quicker but b/c of the heavy cupping "should still keep you in your RPM range. You need a hub kit to go with this prop. My experience with them is that they run like the next size up so I'm not sure if a 17 or 19 would be best for you.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It your tach is correct your probably hitting the rev limiter at 4900 rpm"

That engine won't be hitting the rev limiter at 4900rpm. You have at least another 200rpm before that happens and 100 rpm to go before you are at the top end of the recommended usable rpm range.

I'd maybe try a similar pitched size, but smaller diameter stainless propeller. 21"P maybe ?

ISP197

Cadet
That is part of my problem AllDodge, I do not "know" the aggressiveness of the rake or cup on various props. Almost all manufacturers have 19P props, but I know small variations can have an effect on performance. Unfortunately, I do not have very many shops around to ask opinions. They always seem to offer one brand and it's always "what you need". They may be right,.......I just don't know.

alldodge

Staff member
That is part of my problem AllDodge, I do not "know" the aggressiveness of the rake or cup on various props. Almost all manufacturers have 19P props, but I know small variations can have an effect on performance. Unfortunately, I do not have very many shops around to ask opinions. They always seem to offer one brand and it's always "what you need". They may be right,.......I just don't know.

Don't you have a local prop repair shop? Maybe check the yellow pages

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
As mentioned above, I would check if you have a Prop repair shop close to you or a boat junk yard. There are both of these in my area and they allow you to "test drive" a prop and will swap them out if your not happy with the change in performance. Now all this being said, Your going to notice an improvement on your hole shot if you go to a 19 pitch prop no matter what the rake or cup is on said prop. Have never found much difference in the brand. My last after market prop was a Solas and I was very happy with it. The 5.0 has never been known for being a Torque power house to begin with so you're going to notice when you have a boat load or are pulling someone over 200lbs up on a single ski. Believe a 17P would be unnecessary. If your boat/prop is sensitive to trim changes and cavitates easily in turns, then a prop with more cup will help. good luck.

ISP197

Cadet
Just to give you an idea, I live in an area where there are only two "boat dealers" with in a 45 minute drive from my house and one deals almost exclusively with fishing boats. The other deals in Solas props and recommended a 19P. Not necessarily against the Solas, just wanted some other options as I can always order one. I have looked at the Turning Point Hustler props and realize that the hub would also have to be purchased to work. Also I have looked at the Michigan Wheel props, just do not have any experience with anything other than factory VP 21P. Any advice is appreciated...........Thanks

jkust

Rear Admiral
Props unfortunately require a bit of trial and error as you have realized which isn't always convenient, easy or cheap. The cupping and other geometry of the prop can affect the performance pretty dramatically. My previous boat, I used several TP Hustlers and found that for the same pitch as some less aggressive props, they tended to lower top speed and WOT RPM's but give me a better hole shot and let me trim up a lot further as well. I had a low power 190HP v6 with a heavy boat. On the flip side, my current boat should be able to completely over rev my 17 inch SS Prop except that it is so aggressive, as it is meant for big blocks, and instead get's me very close to recommended max wot but not over. Likely any other 17 I'd try on there would over rev like crazy...the geometry makes it work with excellent hole shot and still get respectable mid 50's wot speed.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Michigan Wheel is a very large after market supplier of props as is Solas. I've run them both and both worked well. I would ask the dealer to "try after you buy" meaning that you Buy a prop and if you don't like the performance and don't mess up the prop or the paint and it can still be sold as new, would they allow you to swap for another.. I had a boat very similar to yours, a GLASTRON 205 with the 5.0 except mine was carbed and 50 less HP then yours. I had a 21 for cruising and long distance and a 19 for ski/tubing. I've also had Stainless but never noticed any increase in performance over a comparable aluminum to justify the expense in the purchase or getting them fixed. My last after market prop that I purchased new was a Solas 21P and I was quite happy with it. I would go for the 19 and look at the total price.

alldodge

Staff member
Just to give you an idea, I live in an area where there are only two "boat dealers" with in a 45 minute drive from my house and one deals almost exclusively with fishing boats. The other deals in Solas props and recommended a 19P. Not necessarily against the Solas, just wanted some other options as I can always order one. I have looked at the Turning Point Hustler props and realize that the hub would also have to be purchased to work. Also I have looked at the Michigan Wheel props, just do not have any experience with anything other than factory VP 21P. Any advice is appreciated...........Thanks

I don't think your really going to notice much difference if any between Brand A, B or C. What I'm hearing is you want more hole shot and so long as your OK with turning higher RPM when cruising then get a used 19P on ebay or CL. Your not going to be out that much buying used and it will achieve most it not all what your looking for.

The increase in RPM should be 400 to 500 RPM

ISP197

Cadet
Thank you everyone. I think I will get a 19P and see how it goes. Not in any hurry. won't be able to try it out till this spring.

ISP197

Cadet
So after doing some looking, I have pretty much decided on getting a Solas Amita 14.25x 19P prop. Now I am stuck on if I should go with the 3 blade or try the 4 blade? Pros and cons of each are appreciated. Will the 4 blade be that much slower on the top end than the 3 blade and how would they compare in "mid range" operation or am I just splitting hairs..............Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
In most cases going from 3 blade to 4 blade you have to drop pitch. Your 19 pitch would go for a 17 pitch 4 blade, but this is rule of thumb. I went from 24 pitch to 22 pitch with my Bravo 3

The 4 blade will be slower planning but can give more top end. The 4 blade also gives more lift so you can wind up with ventilation issues if your riding high now