Better prop for a 60hp 4 stroke mercury?

Revo1976

Cadet
My 2016 Tracker pro-guide sc-16 with a 60hp 4 stroke mercury, the stock prop is a aluminum 3 blade, 10.5" diameter, with a 13" pitch. Who ever decided that it is the prop to put on that motor on that boat, should be punched in the face.
So I ordered a 13" diameter, 15" pitch, 4 blade aluminum solas prop from iboats, and it will not fit. Has anyone else have any experience in my situation?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What was wrong about the first prop and what do you mean by "will not fit" on the second one?

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Last edited by a moderator:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

You can't possibly know if factory delivered prop suits your boating requirements as you seem not to have tached that OB to check its max wot rpm range as usually loaded. Once OB has ended its break end period you should maximize a prop if current one which is usually medium pitched doesn't perform top.

Happy Boating

Revo1976

Cadet
Sorry, I apparently forgot to include the important information in my post, let me start over.
From day one the boat just struggled to get up on plane, it gets to top speed (@ 30 mph) at roughly 5200-5300 rpm, but continues to climb up in rpm to almost 6400 rpm without gaining any more speed. Not that I am looking for any more top speed, but the 1000-1200 rpm beyond reaching top speed is a total waste, especially since the boat is stupid sluggish getting there.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
And what about the new prop not fitting? I'm guessing you ordered the wrong prop.

You said the speed didn't increase, was this checked on GPS, or seat of the pants?

To not increase in speed the prop would need to be ventilating badly, slipping, or have a spun hub.

4 strokes aren't known for having great hole shot ability, so don?t expect too much, but it shouldn?t be terrible.

The boat is rated for 90HP, the 60 is the base model, so it will probably work OK, but not great.

What RPM range is suggested for this motor?

Last edited:

Revo1976

Cadet
The new prop was to long and to large in shaft/spline diameter.
The speed determination was made with gps.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What happens when you trim the motor down, this should reduce the RPMs if it's ventilating.

Revo1976

Cadet
I can't say whether or not the rpm's change much when trimming the motor down, I'll be able to answer that in about 5 months when the water is open again.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the trim pin is allowing the motor to trim down as far as possible. (if it has one, I haven't looked to see if it does)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Bad water performance could be due to prop not in 100% operational state along a badly transom/OB height combination. Send current prop to a prop shop and have it checked. Was deck weight evenly distributed when testing ?

You can always optimize the hole shot of a 4 strokes OB maximizing a prop that revs to full wot rpm range as currently loaded, doesn't matter if OB is underpowered. Boat should not carrying Max number of passengers transom plate stated though.

Happy Boating