How to clean stainless props

gtfireftr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have some residual marine growth on my stainless props.... I looks like white spots that was left over from scrapping barnacles off.
Any advice as to how to remove this stuff.... it's pretty tough to get off.....
Also should I paint them with antifoul to avoid this issue next year?

alldodge

Staff member
Use stuff like CLR and toilet bowl cleaner. Yes it if stays in the water and doesn't get used much, paint it with antifoul so when used it will come off.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
We use hydrochloric acid to clean props. Works great, but you gotta be very careful while doing it.

superbenk

Commander
I think with the acids you need to be careful to rinse them REALLY well or you'll end up with etching which will provide new places for things to grab on to even more. Maybe when you're done cleaning using some kind of polishing compound or really fine grit polishing pad would be a good idea to make the surface as slippery as possible?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Winter is long so i sit out in the garage with the woodstove roaring,pop of choice on table ,tunes or tv on,and use autosol on a dremel type polisher.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Winter is long so i sit out in the garage with the woodstove roaring,pop of choice on table ,tunes or tv on,and use autosol on a dremel type polisher.

​I have similar plans. I'm also going to polish my tabs.

robert graham

Admiral
The best stainless polish I've found is called Mass Metal Polish....in a tube at Walgreens....put it on a buffing wheel or pad and get a mirror finish....

JoLin

Vice Admiral
3M Scotchbrite Pads will work good for cleaning deposits from stainless steel....

I use Mary Kate On And Off with a scotchbrite pad. Everything comes right off. Use it outside, wear disposable gloves and flush with lots of water. They'll shine like new with almost zero effort.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm not a fan of scotchbrite since they leave scratch marks on stainless.

If the stainless just needs a light cleaning and polished up, Nevr-dull is the ticket. Quick, easy and no mess to clean up. I use it routinely on all the SS railings and fixture on my boat.

If it needs a good "cleaning" just about any cleaner with a bit of abrasive in it will work. Cleaners sold to clean stainless steel appliances work about as good any any. Bar Keepers Friend and a clean rag works.

Woodie Wax or Fluid film along with fine bronze wool will clean up even the dirtiest stainless. Need to follow up with a good paste wax afterwards

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes dingbat, i always have a jar of never-dull around the garage.Use to use it on the motorcycles lots along with autosol.