Renegade Bass Prop application ?

loss4wrds

Cadet
There is a nice Renegade Bass prop for sale on my local Craigslist part number is 176058
Will this prop work on my 1994 Johnson 200 looper? I was thinking that it is OMC and 15 spline so it should fit but then I have read about a Weed Ring that is needed on some applications. The sale is prop only so if I do need a weed ring which one do I need as I see different part numbers?
As always thanks for your help and knowledge.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If it will work as of pushing combo, definitely will work. But will not know if once set will achieve for OB to run middle to max wot rpm factory stated. Will need to tach OB along current load. What are you trying to accomplish going for that prop ?

Happy Boating

loss4wrds

Cadet
The prop currently on the boat is a stock SS 3 blade 19p that has chips missing on every blade half the size of a dime or bigger. The boat is a Sprint 296 Pro bass boat. With the current set up I am hitting 5800 RPM / 43mph at a little more than half throttle loaded heavy. So basically I want a prop that is in good shape and closer to the pitch I need. Most of the guys I found running the same hull and similar motors are running 25-29p Raker or Shooter props. I am not Tournament fishing and do not care if I get absolute top speed. Would actually prefer quicker hole shot and on plane at lower speed as I plan to pull the occasional skier or tube but if this prop isn't suited for that I still have the 19p that has no issues pulling.

loss4wrds

Cadet
Also besides the weed ring question will I need to change the thrust washer and if so which one do I need?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's a must test stock delivered props under current load prior getting old, chipping, whatever happens to them while in use. That way will know if stock prop was a excellent performer for your application, buy same new or go from there maximizing other props for whatever you intend to better or achieve. With current stock prop while heavily loaded, is engine running at close max wot rpm factory range which is ?

If engine is already hitting 5800 wot rpm at little more than half throttle, imagine the high over revving engine will achieve when lightly loaded. If that's the case engine needs a higher pitch prop to decrease wot revs.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

loss4wrds

Cadet
Thanks for the info. The plan is to try this $100 4 blade 23p prop and see if that gets me where I need to be and if not I could use it as a trade on something else.
Looks like I will need a different thrust washer/bushing for the renegade prop. I found part number 0128740 that looks to be right for my motor and prop.
I still haven't found anything about this weed ring. Maybe it isn't needed for this motor not sure.

loss4wrds

Cadet
I was actually trying to find out if this prop would physically fit my motor and if a weed ring was needed.

I have researched and found that I will definitely need a new thurst washer/bushing.

I wasn't asking for assistance with determining proper pitch or picking the correct combo for my application as I understand that is mostly a trial and error process. I have a guy that I work with who is a retired Mercury master mechanic and he has seen my rig and advised the pitch and blade combo's that would be a good starting point for me to try but he is unfamiliar with this specific prop and Johnson motor being a Mercury guy and retired from the business for over 10yrs.

I pulled the trigger on the prop and it is being shipped to me so I guess i will get the thrust washer and try it out and report back.

The previous owner of this boat had no idea what he was doing as the boat was set-up completely wrong in multiple ways. (I won't even mention the wiring mess) The biggest one that pertains to this is the jack plate was set so low the bolts to remove the lower unit were completely buried when on plane. I have raised the motor over 5" and the cavitation plate is still buried. I am going to have to change the mounting bolts on the motor (up from the lowest setting) to get it up where it needs to be. Needless to say this has changed my WOT RPM range way up. With the motor being closer to where it should be I am now hitting my peak/max RPM (5800-6200) between 1/2 and 2/3 throttle. With the prop being so miss matched to the boat I just have to guess where to start and go from there.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
With the motor being closer to where it should be I am now hitting my peak/max RPM (5800-6200) between 1/2 and 2/3 throttle.
That motor is rated at 5500 RPM with a WOT of 5000 - 6000 RPM

I'm running a 14-1/2 x 17" Renegade Offshore on my boat. Comparing apples to oranges from a weight perspective (#5K vs. ?) but that prop puts me right around 5500-5600 RPM. If your running in low 6K already, I'm guessing the 23 isn't going to do it. I suspect you'll end up in the 25-29" range you noted above

loss4wrds

Cadet
Paperwork I have says hull is 1375lbs so with 50gal gas plus gear and kids/wife I am thinking I am 2500-3000lbs full load heavy.

The prop I have is just so far off and my local shop that will let me test wants $375 cash up front to test and doesn't have much of a selection. I am sure this will be better but doubt I will luck into the sweet spot first try. I just couldn't pass up a new looking (supposedly spare only used twice) prop that was closer to the right size for $100. Hope if it is still way off I can get that much $$ back on trade for another.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Still no comment/advise on this weed ring thing?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You don't need a weed guard unless you boat in areas of heavy weed growth.

loss4wrds

Cadet
No Title

My kids gave me the prop I bought myself for Christmas. So I put it on and there is a large gap around the prop.
I am guessing that gap is what the weed ring is supposed to close up?
Anyone know the correct part number for the correct weed ring for my old looper or is there a better fix?

Attachments

• photo256967.jpg
    photo256967.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1

danintruder

Seaman
yes the weed ring will close that gap and is not only to prevent weeds but to concentrate exaust gases towards inner hub so that it does not ventilate around the prop. depending on your set-up the weed ring may not be necessary. when the exaust is outside the hub it ventilates and makes the motor rev faster so that if your motor needs help speeding up to take off it is beneficial but if it revs and does not move then the ring is needed so try it witout first if you can and the ring is cheap enough $10-15 .