trim tabs on an inboard ski boat

I have a 1985 Ski Supreme with a 351 Windsor inboard. The more juice I give it, the harder it leans starboard, especially when it's on plane. It looks funny coming down the lake it leans so much. If I have someone in the left seat, it helps some, but not much unless they are big. Should I drop a single trim tab on the back starboard side to level it out or am I missing something simple?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
has it always done this, or is this a new development?

look at your weight balance. have you had the boat weighed? you could have water logged foam.

Assuming the foam isnt water logged in your 33 year old boat, helm adjustable trim tabs are a great thing. Tabman will be along shortly to ask questions and recommend a proper bennett system

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What side is your steering wheel on, and which way does the propeller rotate in forward when viewed from behind?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Try a different propeller,...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Bondo have not seen the solution to the many ghreads on this. please elaborate

Bondo

Staff member
Bondo have not seen the solution to the many ghreads on this. please elaborate

Ayuh,.... In my own experiences, some hulls act very differently with slightly different props, even in the same pitch,....

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
On inboard ski boats we have been primary involved in making "wake plates" to help adjust the wake of the boat by altering its fore to aft attitude;

wt83mh by Tom McGow, on Flickr

DCAM0193 by Tom McGow, on Flickr

371266 by Tom McGow, on Flickr

But we have worked with people to install "regular" Trim Tabs for a combo of fore to aft and side to side trim control, with great results.

Since there are usually swim platforms and dual exhausts involved it would be very helpful to see a photo of the boat's transom to recommend a good size.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'd be willing to guess a Right hand 19 or 21 pitch prop.. Trim tabs == woot
It will be a direct drive inboard and is probably a left hand rotation and a 12-14" pitch range.

I would look at an issue with the rudder or a bent skeg in the center

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If it is a counter clockwise prop, the boat is going to list starboard side down. Having the driver on the starboard side adds to the problem. Odds are the battery(s) are mounted on the starboard side too. Direct drive(no reduction) with low pitch props also add to it.

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think it's a tournament ski boat thing. Mine does the same it's a 1996 blue water. If your a big guy that's it Forsure. I'm 300# and I added 200# ballast to my locker under the passenger front seat to even it out. Only negative is it now sits crooked to that side when docked.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Does it do it no matter what way the wind is on you ? I.e. Wind from port and wind from starboard ?
Maybe check the rudder isn't offset ?
I know that occasionally with shallow drafted planning boats, one tends to steer into the side wind in order for the boat to go in a straight line. This will give the boat a slight heel/list to the side the wind is on. If the wind is coming across the starboard bow, the boat will lost to the starboard.
Just a thought.