Lower Unit Guards

Does anyone know of a source that i could purchase a lower unit guard for my Mercury 115 hp outboard? I seen one that Rockhopper makes, but it looks like it is on available in lower hp models. Two props in two weeks on the mississippi River is getting a bit expensive. Rock dikes...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

a GPS with sonar would have paid for itself already.

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, a depth finder/fish finder would help you to read and learn the bottom.....if you just can't avoid the rocks maybe consider a Comprop made of composite material designed to break first....before your lower unit/gears, etc.....Comprops run about $80-$90 each....lots cheaper than lower units or aluminum or SS props...

I have thought about looking into a depth finder. I just come out of a smaller boat that skimmed over the top of them. Little bit of a learning curve with the bigger deeper boat I just got. I seen a picture of the Rock Hopper model and thought that would be a good set of "training wheels" until I learn the river a little better. I'm going a little bit slower now, watching out for the telltale ripples. Thanks for the advice guys!

robert graham

Admiral
I use a Lowrance model X50D which is a very basic ($99) fish finder/depth finder.....easy to install and operate. Once you have it you'll get in the habit of glancing at it often(sorta like the speedometer on your car) and you'll begin to read and learn the bottom depth. My unit also gives the charging rate for my battery and the water temperature....heck, you may even use it to locate fish!.....You'll wonder how you ever got along without it!.....Good Luck!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Almost every fish finder has has an audible depth alarm feature, too. Even the cheapies.

BananasCentral

Seaman Apprentice
A fishfinder kept me from making a expensive mistake already, far more expensive than a fishfinder to prevent it.
For example, striking a submerged object can easily turn over a small boat.
Everyone got the jackets on? We're flying blind!

It's possible to mount them INSIDE fiberglass hulls, aluminum is more questionable. Best suggestion I saw was to put them in the bilge with water and see if it'd read.

Last edited: