Is a stainless prop worth it??

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I was looking at a Turing Point Hustler last week. I wasn't all that impressed with the quality of the casting, but what really made me question the overall quality control/inspection was one blade had what was a very different rake than the other 2.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Jimmbo, The TP Hustlers I own have the same shape as a prop like the Rapture. All blades are the same. Also, the quality is very good on the three that I have. Not sure what you were looking at.

There was a 4 blade prop, where each pair of blades was different from the other. I do not remember the brand....

BananasCentral

Seaman Apprentice
I was just shopping those props and that was also a TP Hustler with 2+2 configuration. Check the listing closely.

I just bought a 3 blade TP Hustler, casting looks fine, paint is..... well it's aluminum what do you want?
It's very thick, both blades and paint.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Chris, I know I was looking at a TP Hustler prop, fresh in box, with one blade that was bent. I showed it to the parts manager and she too said it was bent. I was curious about the TP prop having heard some people raving about them. I will rave about my RAKER and Enertia props, both Stainless.

jkust

Rear Admiral
These days with my current set up, I only run expensive SS props. But with my previous boat with a small 4.3 liter, I had about 6 TP Hustlers. The are cupped and they did rob me of a some RPM's and a few top end mph's over non cupped alum props of the same pitch that I had. I didn't like that the edges of the TP Hustlers chipped easier than other brand props I owned even in a little bit of sand that you wouldn't expect would do much of anything. TPs were cheap.
Also, keep in mind that the Mercruiser Outdrives have a system that will allow the drive to tip up when you strike something big if you are going fast enough then they will fall right back down into position after you pass the submerged object. So the prop has a hub that will take some of the blow (questionable it's value and that all props don't have this anyway), the lower unit has a skeg to protect some, the outrive has a submerged object strike mitigation system in it. My old 4.3 liter was a little overmatched by the dry weight of the boat so for me, even the slight cupping on the TP meant less top end speed though decent hole shot but could accept more trim.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, cupping on a prop is a good thing. A cupped prop is superior to a non-cupped prop. Sounds like you were overpropped.