prop loose on thrust washer

danintruder

Seaman
hello new to the forum and glad to be here .i bought a trophy plus prop used for my new to me intruder 175 hp 1997 and the hub kit from mercury that is supposed to adapt the prop to the motor, thrust washer fits the shaft it seems good but the inside of the washer that is supposed to hold and center the prop is loose in the prop ! and the prop rubs on the housing wich is normal since it cannpot be centered ! there is no wear or any indication of machining ! everything looks good ! is there different hub housing size and washers for that application ? and another question is the taper on the shaft standart to all american outboards ?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Have you tried your original thrust washer?Ive had to do that with my motor for certain props.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
1. Thrust washers have to match the props and the taper on the shaft.
2. Probably so. You want a tight fit so that what you are experiencing doesn't happen. Torque will be around 55 ft-lbs when you get the right washer and everything is snugged up properly.

82rude

Rear Admiral
When you say prop rubs on the housing is the lip of the prop grinding against the h gearcase housing?Stupidly happened to me but luckly I caught it fast and damage was minor.Wrong thrust washer on my part.

danintruder

Seaman
no dammage yet ! i din not run the motor,just by hand and i did try the omc washer but it is a lot thicher and gets the prop out way to much and is the same size =loose on the inner hub. thanks

danintruder

Seaman
ok after speaking with a prop expert even with twice the play as my omc prop it is normal for the flo-torq ! so i installed it and will check it after testing !thanks for the help !

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to run a flopping prop on your prop shaft, pull my name from your responder list!

danintruder

Seaman
it is not that loose,and it is the washer for that application from mercury ,after speaking to a prop shop that is the most busy shop around mont?al i saw the play is normal for those props with flo-torq 2 ,so i removed the aluminium ring that served as a ehaust ring on the prop (it was lightly press on and now no rubbing and reinstalled the plastic ehaust ring that was on before plus the washer and the prop at 55 pds and i cannot move it ! so i will try it and check it often ! i probably was too scared for nothing !

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
it is not that loose,and it is the washer for that application from mercury ,after speaking to a prop shop that is the most busy shop around mont?al i saw the play is normal for those props with flo-torq 2 ,so i removed the aluminium ring that served as a ehaust ring on the prop (it was lightly press on and now no rubbing and reinstalled the plastic ehaust ring that was on before plus the washer and the prop at 55 pds and i cannot move it ! so i will try it and check it often ! i probably was too scared for nothing !

55 ft-lbs is the recommended torque for that engine listed in the service manual. At 55 ft-lbs it's not loose. I you have that and the prop is not rubbing, nor hitting your trim tab, you are good to go.

If you are confusing the slight fore-aft, spring loaded movement of the prop SHAFT (with the prop, being locked to the shaft, moving in unison with the prop shaft) with respect to the lower unit aluminum housing, then that too is normal and caused by the sawtooth teeth of F gear and the clutch dog in the lower unit which does your shifting for you.

danintruder

Seaman
thanks mark ,it should be ok but i will check it closely at first to be shure its not wobbly after running in water !

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
thanks mark ,it should be ok but i will check it closely at first to be shure its not wobbly after running in water !

If it's wobbling you should be able to pickup the fact via, visual engine physical vibrations or rattling noises.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Some of the flo-torq kits do have thrust washers that are a bit smaller than the inside of the prop hub. I know the one for my VP I/O is that way. I found that spinning the prop as you snug up the propnut helps center the prop more accurately. Mercury really does need to be more precise when producing this stuff.

danintruder

Seaman
testing done ! prop is great ! no rattles or any movement or vibration ! and still tight after running ! and new pitch almost perfect on my boat ! springs out on plane compared to before and not even 1/2 mph less than before !