Would you consider aluminum if the only obstruction in the lake was a weedline?

BananasCentral

Seaman Apprentice
Obviously stainless is more durable.
BUT everyone boats in different areas, a rocky river, floating logs, oyster beds.

I live in Central FL (right near the famous West Tohopekaliga)
We don't have many obstructions, few stumps, no trees, no logs, no rocks at all.
We do have a very deep weedline, usually 100-200 yards, and some hydrilla.
It's rare to get in under 2ft, I have a kicker to get me out to clean water.
I also have a SST to swap on for unknown waters (or salt).

Is aluminum even still relevant?
Am I going to tear aluminum up on a clump of hydrilla?

Is one aluminum prop clearly more durable or superior to others?

Last edited:

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I would use my aluminum for water that I don't know.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I bought an SST back in the '70's when they first came out. I don't remember the blades being all that sharp. Today's SS props have very thin blades, at least my 3 Ballistic props were very thin. I'd think that a sharp blade at a good rpm would do a good job of chopping your way through Hydrilla.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have always been partial to stainless steel myself. While SS can be damaged as well, they hold up to a heck of a lot more abuse without damage. So when you do damage a SS prop. it would have serious busted up an aluminum prop for sure. JMHO

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
never had a SS prop... not so sure the benefit outweighs the risk... "So when you do damage a SS prop. it would have serious busted up an aluminum prop for sure." and likely a damaged prop shaft and lower unit seals.. Aluminum performs well and will bend well before you wreck your lower unit

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
never had a SS prop... not so sure the benefit outweighs the risk... "So when you do damage a SS prop. it would have serious busted up an aluminum prop for sure." and likely a damaged prop shaft and lower unit seals.. Aluminum performs well and will bend well before you wreck your lower unit

In clean water SS is THE prop. If in hazard areas it would be a Turning Point Hustler alum but it still wouldn't have the thin, sharp blades the SS have; has everything else.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I've never had a SS prop. I only want aluminum due to rocks. Nothing wrong with going with aluminum even if there aren't many obstructions.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I run through two to three miles of water where the milfoil is so thick my depth gauge says .5 to 1.5 feet deep when I know the water is really around twenty feet deep. I run through this milfoil twice, each time we go out on our boat. Taken the boat out seven times this year and my Solas aluminum propeller still looks like new, not even a scratch on the paint. I bought the prop from this Forum for $100. I think an aluminum prop would work for you :)