90 bayliner 1800 with force motor. prop question.

graybird78

Seaman Apprentice
another question. my boat is 1990 bayliner capri 1800 w/90 hp force . the prop on it only has these numbers on it p669-3, then 669265. it is a press in hub so im assuming this is the original to the engine. its pretty beat up. what would be a good all around prop and pitch for this boat. engine does have a hydrofoil on it. any suggestions..thanks in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Usually the prop on the motor is the right one.
​Take it to almost any boat sales or boat parts place, they can have it reconditioned.
Is it aluminum or stainless?

13 and 3/4 X 15p is what I found from the #s you posted.
Depending on the boat most use a 17 or 19

​If your asking questions about the boat motor you should include any info you can get.
​Make, length, type, hp. year

The prop used can be affected by boat size, hp, load.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Repair current prop at a prop shop, afterwords go for a max wot run on calm no wind water cond as usually loaded and check max wot revs achieved. Check if OB is revving inside it's wot range. Ideal middle to max wot range. Then can go for a prop maximization to suit best your boating application.

A factory delivered prop is no indication that will work spot on as usually loaded, after break in period ends, that's for new OB's, should tach current prop as usually loaded and go for a prop maximization if delivered one is not working inside ideal middle to max wot range.

Happy Boating

graybird78

Seaman Apprentice
will get numbers together. there are no prop shops where i live..im in council bluffs iowa.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
a 17 would be the all around prop - my folks have nearly the same boat. If you are into slalom skiing you would want the 15p - but chances are it will over-rev a tad.

graybird78

Seaman Apprentice
im assuming the prop is original to engine. it still has pressed in hub. not doing any skiing. more for fishing and occassional tubing. was going to invest in new prop and have to send this one out to be redone.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Investing on whatever prop you plan going for will be a wild guess, anyway will need to be tached to check if working inside at middle-max wot range as currently loaded. If you're not in a hurry, redone original prop, tach it out, that's your starting point prop. Can go from there maximizing other prop pitch to suit best your boating requirements.

Happy Boating

graybird78

Seaman Apprentice
current prop i believe is 15p. part #p663-3. i have tach installed. at w.o.t i max out at 4200 rpm. 28 mph on speedo. seems like engine should rev more.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
28 mph sounds correct for 4200 rpm, but you should be turning over 5000 rpm with the 15p prop and getting closer to 35 mph Have you verified that all 3 cylinders are getting spark ? Do you have the correct spark plugs ? Does it make any difference if you take a rip down the lake with the cover off the engine ?

check out these links by the late Frank Acampora - he was a Force guru.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ler-outboards/616464-carb-and-timing-tutorial

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...-on-a-75-150-chrysler-or-early-force?t=431021

graybird78

Seaman Apprentice
will have to check plug numbers.i still need to check timing. po said he messed with timing . it does have spark to all 3 cylinders. have not tried running engine without cover. engine sounds good just lacks any high speed top end.engine does however start and idle better with cover off.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are used props all over ebay for $50. It doesn't hurt to try a 15 and 17 and keep the other for a spare. A boat with the right prop on it makes boating much more enjoyable.