Newb drags 74 CrestLiner Nordic 17' 135hp from MI to FL. Could use a new prop.

BananasCentral

Seaman Apprentice
That all didn't go as planned...

I had to put a new intake screen in and check the impeller. Fortunately it was good because the replacement part was WAY off.
During reassembly I KNEW the linkage had turned slightly but couldn't tell which direction.
I have the shop service manual coming tomorrow, will have it sorted by the weekend.

New prop installed, only got to 36knts 4700rpm, when I took it out of gear it wouldn't go back in.
Overall I'd say the FEEL was better around 3000-4000rpm, trimming out will be needed.
The bow ran MUCH lower compared to the SST, I never got a chance to play with trim.
Might be able to get 2 holes out. (4 holes total, 2 more than SST)

NEVER FEAR! KICKER IS HERE!
I drove us half way back in a 20mph wind, then we did some casting at the canal mouth and wifey caught a 22" bass!
This smoothed out the whole trip!
Oh man she was beside herself with excitement! (stop jumping up and down while I'm taking a pic!)

First bass EVER! Make a crazy face for the picture! Marias%20gian%20fish%202SAM_9861_zpsgc7yalt5.jpg

Last edited:

BananasCentral

Seaman Apprentice
I hate dead end threads and wanted to update everyone.

Game delayed on account of hurricane, then a busted shift lever in the "Pilot Power" control box.
I ordered a new one, fortunately the opposing gear is aluminum, it saved me buying the whole repair kit.
The box is full of that clear grease used wherever there are Nylon gears, and as always it's turned from grease to adhesive.
I'm going to clean the box and cables before getting back out.

While waiting I've been building trotlines to go after catfish in the canals between lakes and giving the kicker a nice workout LOL!

Catfish are supposed to feed heavily around storms, our winter storms are short and abrupt, then gone just as quickly.
It's my hope to set multiple lines right before a winter cold front swings through, then check them when the weather clears.
Just trying to figure out a way to fill the freezer.......

BananasCentral

Seaman Apprentice
After quite a few runs in varying weather I can say that this TP prop is OK, but bow lift is not what I want in this boat.
On a glassy lake trimming about I was able to get 41mph @4800 rpm. (to refresh your memories the less than perfect SST 17p got 41mph @ 5200 rpm)
Better slip number for sure, but also overpropped.

In particular the "bow lift" is accompanied by a corresponding jamming down of the stern and angle in the water is more acute causing a bit of pounding.
It's very clear to see how the stern rides deeper than before, even with the same entry point.

Today the chop was out of control, sustained 25mph wind and we got pounded on the way out.
I trimmed the motor in on the way back and the boat was all full of spray the entire way.

Soooooo ..... looks like "stern lifting" or "whole hull lifting" would be more to my needs, and I still need those 400 rpm.
15p doesn't have near the selection (maybe a good thing?)

Really I'm back to considering a 4 blade, maybe in 13"p, like this. http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Jo...-133-13_Propeller/85/33831/?cart_id=007261044

EDIT sorry to reply to myself, bad form.
I CAUGHT MY FIRST CATFISH ON A TROTLINE TODAY!!!!!
Y'all come on down to FL for a catfish fry if the winter gets too bad.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah yeah Florida... I know it's nice to have bugs biting all year round but only the seasons give clear water, towering mountains and ice fishing! :lol:

BananasCentral

Seaman Apprentice
The lobsters don't bite! ;)
You are right about our water though. It ranges between a strong tea to brick color to black coffee.

I just ordered a 4 blade 13P.
Yesterday we were out in 20+mph winds and could only run head-on- bow -down into the 3ft+ chop which were inconveniently spaced a boat length apart.
The prop kept ventilating and my speed was higher than optimal for such large chop.
AKA BELLYFLOP
on ---> SLAM
every ----> SLAM
single --->SLAM
wave --->SLAM
The lake is only 5 ft deep at the downwind end and all the waves rise up with random patterns falling over themselves as wind blows the tops off.

I believe minimum planing speed to be the issue here.

Last edited:

BananasCentral

Seaman Apprentice
13p Rubex 4 blade made it feel like a different boat but now I'm a little TOO slow LOL.

The holeshot slid everything to the back of the boat, it'll turn hard enough that I'll have to be careful not to dip a gunnel, and the downwind edge (where the bass are staging to spawn) has big-ish waves that'd rock the boat something fierce but yesterday the prop stayed hooked up even beam to the waves.

The change in traction is incredible.
Incredible.
Suddenly it felt "hooked up" like dry pavement vs sugar sand or shallow mud.
I was able to maintain a STRAIGHT heading beam-to, instead of every peak steering one way and every trough steering the other.
8 mph no problem, before it'd only slosh about violently until 12mph +.

Unfortunately it is too slow, even though we rode around for a good while and seemingly used NO fuel.
3500 rpm 22 mph 3% slip? WOW! What?
5900 rpm = 35-36-ish mph and 5% slip
Those mph are slightly slushy, the GPS reverted to knots and I was calculating in my head.
Still a VAAAAAAASSSSST improvement over 37% slip!

Unfortunately when calculating pitch before ordering I'd forgotten the 300 rpm picked up after removing the DOH! fin. SST 17p=5500 rpm WOT and I was working with 5200 (like a idiot who didn't check his math)
17p might put me at 5100-5200 rpm, 15p might do 5500 rpm.

Help me out here folks, same prop, 15p or 17p?

Last edited:

BananasCentral

Seaman Apprentice
^THT^ with an update.

The motor has been decarbed and Techron run through it several times at the lake. It now starts and idles much better, as well as sounding different.
No change in speed or rpm.

The boat was originally too far back on the trailer letting the transom ride unsupported.
There is a hook where each bunk board rides. Each is about the size of a sheet of notebook paper aprox 3/16 depth right in front of the transom.
The winch post was moved forward to properly re position the boat and I've got some automotive dent dollys to shrink the dent from the inside.
I'll settle for mostly gone, there is a lot of oilcan preceding it.

So satisfy my OCD-ness a stainless prop was required, I selected a 15p 4 blade.
Unfortunately the prop which arrived had been dropped on concrete RIGHT on a blade tip, then polished.
The damage is about one good whack with a 12oz hammer worth.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Add the too far back on the trailer with lack of support and an over zealous tie down strap tightener guy and you have a recipe for hull damage.

OCD allowed you to buy a used prop? :lol: