fixing an alloy prop

Tbaz2123

Recruit
prop ran on rocky bottom and now is "burred" around the finns' edges, no bends or big knicks larger than a grain of rice , can I fix this with a file ? are there steps somewhere I can read. I did search but no luck.

superbenk

Commander
You can file the burrs smooth, however I've found that it really doesn't take much to bend/unbalance an aluminum prop. Clean it up, run it & pay close attention to any weird vibrations. If you feel any vibration you should have it repaired. Cost on a 3-blade aluminum repair is about $80 if you send it somewhere. Maybe cheaper if you can take it to a shop.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
+1. I used to file little nicks all the time, or just leave them be.....only reason I'd file them was if they had sharp edges that could accidentally cut me. If something major, then off to the prop shop.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
prop ran on rocky bottom and now is "burred" around the finns' edges, no bends or big knicks larger than a grain of rice , can I fix this with a file ? are there steps somewhere I can read. I did search but no luck.

First, :welcome: to iboats. Always nice to have a new member join us...

I read an article once about a guy that made a plaster mold of his prop. He did that so he could repair the prop. He made the mold so that he could see if any of the blades were bent or shaped differently from the others. He made a little box type setup with a center shaft and filled it with plaster of paris of one blade that was known good. Then he would rotate the prop blades on that mold to see if the other blades were okay and fit the mold properly. If any of them didn't fit, he would use a mallet to reform the out of position prop blade until it fit perfectly. If he couldn't get it to fit he would get it reworked.

I posted that not to try and tell you to do it yourself, but merely to see if you have a bent blade. But any prop shop could determine that quickly as well. JMHO

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Around here it's cheaper to replace the prop with new and with the new props with the removable hub it has gotten even cheaper.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Depending on your mechanical ability you could fix your own prop if not badly damaged. Now I am a toolmaker by trade and have been for 48 yrs so this type of thing is not difficult for me. I have made a balancing shaft to check the balance on my props and draw a template with the same idea in mind as the plaster cast in a prior posting. I want to make all the blades the same and the drawing does that for me. I use a small air powered disc sander/grinder to smooth and shape the blades. I have also made castings of props when damaged more severely. It is very doable if your mechanically inclined and have the tools to do the job and understand how a prop works. If your not sure then do spend the money to get it done correctly so as to not cause any damage to your motor.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Depending on your mechanical ability you could fix your own prop if not badly damaged. Now I am a toolmaker by trade and have been for 48 yrs so this type of thing is not difficult for me. I have made a balancing shaft to check the balance on my props and draw a template with the same idea in mind as the plaster cast in a prior posting. I want to make all the blades the same and the drawing does that for me. I use a small air powered disc sander/grinder to smooth and shape the blades. I have also made castings of props when damaged more severely. It is very doable if your mechanically inclined and have the tools to do the job and understand how a prop works. If your not sure then do spend the money to get it done correctly so as to not cause any damage to your motor.

Interesting to see others with such abilities. There really is a lot of info on the net about props and how to correctly repair and balance them back to factory ro better. There are articles about prop pitch blocks and gauges as well. And even how to properly balance them again. It isn't for everyone, but it can be done with the right setup. JMHO