I'm looking for some advice on a boat prop Upgrade

I'm looking for some advice on a boat prop from aluminium to a stainless steel prop.
I have a 2004 Bayliner 175 XT with a MerCruiser 3.0 litre 135 Hp that has a I/O Alpha 1 generation 2 stern drive with a 4 blade Alumium 20 inch pitch propeller on it. I'm getting at present 43mph WOT ( 4700 rpm ) I have the opportunity to purchase a Rogue™ (13 x 17") EVINRUDE? JOHNSON? RH Propeller, 763966 that I know that I will need to replace the hub too a 15 spline on it before it will fit on my stern drive. I would like to get out of the hole faster and if possible more speed for knee boarding and water skiing as well. What are your thoughts on this prop and what can I expect from it. It does have a rubber hub so I can get it replaced just want to make sure I'm making a good choice my second option is to go to a 19 pitch Alumium 3 blade prop would love to try a s/s one but there not cheap either.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

A dry prop evaluation test won't work, need to test that prop on a wot run as usually loaded, check achieved max wor revs and compare them to factory stated wot range. Probably will over rev ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I think the diameter is too small. On a similar boat to yours with a 3.0 I had good luck with a 15 x17" 3 blade and even better performance with a Michigan Vortex 4 blade 15x 16", real nice holeshot for skiing. Just be careful when not skiing as any of these lower pitch props will be touching red line when not pulling a skier

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
First of all, you are close to the top of the recommended rpm range, and you are getting 43 mph in a 17 footer using a 3 liter. You are doing well. Dropping even 2 inches in pitch will put you well above the recommended rpm range, and a loss of top speed. If you want an increase in performance, focus on trim and unnecessary weight. Getting rid of the kids, wife, and especially the mother in law will help performance. Mistresses and Girlfriends somehow don't seem to decrease performance as much as the others, they can remain or be brought aboard.

Thanks for all you advise I did pick up the prop the deal was too good to say no too I'm still going to look for another Alumium prop just for cruising around and a bit of tubing as well. If you have any suggestions I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again the information and the people sharing make this a great site when you need some help with things.

alldodge

Staff member
You have not mentioned how your boat is set up, but if I use the standard for your boat (1.94 ratio, speed is GPS, Tach is accurate) your doing great with only 6.3 % slip. I would love to have that little slip on my boat. Just stick with what you have

Can anyone tell me if I replace the rubber hub on a Rouge evenrude Johnson RH SS propellor ( 763966 ) with a Quicksilver hub for an Alpha One will it fit my prop shaft on my Alpha 1 Generation 2 stern drive MerCruiser It sounds like a dumb question but I'm not sure what size my prop shaft is on the stern drive.

Last edited:
No Title

I have taken a picture of the hub it has a rubber hub inside the Rouge Prop. I have a couple of questions on this hub can I replace this hub myself or is it a pressed in hub that I would need a shop to replace it. The other question is the numbers on the back of the hub they are 763866. 13 spline X 17 pitch and I'm not sure what these numbers mean in each side of the hub they are 12 and 20. I would appreciate any advice on this propeller.

Attachments

• photo251109.jpg
    photo251109.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
As others have stated going from 4-20 pitch to a 3-17 pitch will give you great hole shot, but IMO you will be at or near WOT just to pull a tube.

If you google propeller 763966 it comes up with the prop

You need at least a 10 ton press to change out the hub

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the max wot rpm range for that engine ? What's the issue of current 4 blade alum prop, are not satisfied with actual performance ? if so, what would you like to better or accomplish ? Once new hub is finally pressed into 3-17 prop body will need to be heat vulcanized.

Happy Boating

Thanks everyone for your advice I think I'm going to sell this 13-17 Rouge prop on and look for a Alumium 19 pitch one instead for a spare prop . It just makes more sense than to get the hub replaced on this one and have it running close to the red line on the revs gauge. All your assistance is awesome helping me decide which way to go rather cut my loses than sink more into it and not be happy with the outcome.