prop spacing

pacman78

Cadet
ok so i have a 05 searay 4.3 mercrusier i am playing with props. i have a 19p on there now i found a 17p to try when i went to put it on and torque it down the prop will not spin. i removed it took it back to the boat place he told me turn the thrust wash the other way i have it the correct way he told me to try backwards i did and it spins free but it done sound right to turn the washer or is it me. i ask if there are different thickness he said there all the same size hope i explain the good any help would be great

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Thrust washer only goes one way. is the prop designed for a mercuiser ?

pacman78

Cadet
The guy at the boat place told me it is but i don't think it is. yea i know they only go on one way when the guy told me to turn it around i was like can i do that i thought it goes one way he said it will be ok i am new to boats figure i see what people think

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
When he said turn it around and if it's deliberately tapered to fit a deliberately tapered prop shaft, then he just disqualified himself as a source of information (in my book). Different props have different hubs which are of different dimensions. Removable hubs vs pressed in rubber hubs are a case in point. A different thrust washer is required sometimes, maybe every time. If you buy a prop from iboats, you will be prompted in the listing with accessories that go with the prop like the proper hub, if replaceable, and the thrust washer to use with that prop. You need to get the right thickness thrust washer for that new prop.