Changing a mirage 19" to 17" pitch

Ezen

Cadet
Can a shop change my pitch reasonably or should I go shopping on Craigslist. The one I have is a 19 without a blemish (mirage). Replacing a 17" aluminum that's worn from bottom sand. The mirage is just a little slow out of the hole.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I know there will be posters who will swear left, right, center that a prop can be repitched successfully, all I will say is that it not the same as a prop that was cast at the 'new' pitch. What rpm were you getting with the AL prop, and what did it drop to with the 19?

Ezen

Cadet
The WOT was about 5600, up from 5400 as the prop wore, and the Mirage is 5200. I just ordered new plugs and spark wire because they may be part of the problem I can eliminate. It's a 85 XR-2 with one cylinder at 105 and the rest 110 to 115. Let me try that and if it improves at all thats all I need to get from the ramp, across Cotawatchee Bay and on my trolling motor (and back). It seems balanced well as it is and I don't want to screw it up."......Ezen

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Get rid of any unnecessary weight, Kids, wife, mother-in-law, leave them at the dock. Girlfriends and Mistresses can remain aboard.

Ezen

Cadet
Took the LFB 3 for a Sunday ride this afternoon with my son and two kids to see if new plugs and wires made any difference. Ta-da, I'm a happy camper. It came up on plane almost as fast as the aluminum 17 and ran smoothly. Can't wait to find a mistress and see what kind of "good" she can do.
Ezen
Curious about what a prop shop would charge to take the prop from 19 to 17, any idea? Thanks