Question about Michigan wheel Rapture prop

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I was wondering if anybody has any experience with a rapture prop. My boat is a Starcraft SS 160 with a 1986 Evinrude 70 hp. Right now I run a 17" pitch OMC SST prop the motor easily overevs to 6200 Rpms. So I was wondering if the rapture prop will be a good fit for my boat it is a 19" pitch stainless I would like to get my rpms down to about 58-5900.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally a 2" pitch change will change RPMs by about 400, so going to a 19P Rapture probably will get you what you want to be in RPM. The Rapture has good Rake, so it will have some performance upgrade, if your motor is powerful to use it. I hope you have power trim, as I don't think the Rapture will help your performance much, w/o it.

You might consider a Turning Point Hustler in 3 blade, 19Pitch. It will have nearly the performance as the Rapture, but at 1/3 the price or less.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Normally a 2" pitch change will change RPMs by about 400, so going to a 19P Rapture probably will get you what you want to be in RPM. The Rapture has good Rake, so it will have some performance upgrade, if your motor is powerful to use it. I hope you have power trim, as I don't think the Rapture will help your performance much, w/o it.

You might consider a Turning Point Hustler in 3 blade, 19Pitch. It will have nearly the performance as the Rapture, but at 1/3 the price or less.

I am getting it used for about $100 and it's in perfect shape. Yes I have tilt/trim and when I did the prop finder for my boat it recommends a 19" pitch.

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i have a feeling the rapture will bring your rpm down more than 400 due to the greater cupping. my guess would be it will drop your rpm by 600. But it's always hard to know until you try it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Thank you everybody for the info. I am going to grab it it's a good price. I should have mentioned that my boat is pretty heavily loaded with 3 batteries 2 in the bow, 15 gallons of gas and a 15 hp kicker and still easily over revs I stop it at 6200 rpm. My speed is 38.5 GPS at 6000 rpm with that load.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
i have a feeling the rapture will bring your rpm down more than 400 due to the greater cupping. my guess would be it will drop your rpm by 600. But it's always hard to know until you try it.

Update on the prop, You win ski dad I lost 1000 rpm and 1 MPH. It's a fast prop but I think it needs to be mounted high on the boat. So I will sell it and continue running my SST. Thank you all for your help.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
wow that is a huge drop. If you want to fine tune your setup - check out Ken @ Propgods - or look at Powertech props - they have a few different knock off versions of an OMC SST i believe - I'm not sure if your lower unit takes class C or D props. You can give your numbers to either place.