Maybe silly hub question.....

samiguy

Cadet
This may be just a silly question, but I can't seem to find a final answer. Will a press in hub prop "up-grade" to the newer hub kits? Or is it prop dependent? ​Appreciate the help !!
Sami

samiguy

Cadet
Thank you so much! That was my thought, now it's confirmed. Guess I'm off to get my third hub in as many weeks.........

samiguy

Cadet
Now I am confused...... Would love to find the Solas part to replace my hub.... maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

82rude

Rear Admiral
WHY not get the new hub and prop?You,ve basically bought one already with the number of hubs.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will a "press" in hub prop upgrade

Standard props have internal vulcanized rubber hubs for prop body to adhere and bond to spline body. If just pressed will be spun in a very short term period. Probably good for just displacement speeds.

Happy Boating

samiguy

Cadet
UPDATE... Just took the prop back to my prop shop. The tech there took a look and quickly told me he didn't get the replacement hub in the prop far enough. It was spun. Took it back and replaced the hub..no charge. Love doing business with honest people. Will continue to go to him if and when needed. Will probally go ahead and get a new prop and use this as a spare. May even drop down a few on the pitch as I think I am "over-pitched" a bit. Any input greatly appreciated !!!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To be 100% shure prop is over pitched, need to go for a wot spin as usually loaded on flat calm no wind water cond and check max wot rpm achieved. For that test need an induction tach if not counting already with one. Selecting prop pitches by wild guessing it's not good for OB.

BTW, which boat model and HP brand is it ? Is it HP correct or running an under powered OB for that size boat ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

samiguy

Cadet
It is a 2013 Sweetwater 2286. Yamaha F115, stock 115 HP. Max engine for this Pontoon is 135. Prop is Michigan Wheel 13 1/2 X 17 3 blade stainless.. Will finally get out on the water with an intact prop in a couple of days. Does have strakes, two tubes.​Thanks for the follow-up! Looking forward to your advice.
Thanks!
Sami

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Now that new hub is working OK doesn't mean that current prop is best performer for that toon till OB it's not tached on flat calm no wind water cond as usually loaded. Right now nothing to suggest . Does toon counts with a tach to start with ?

That 4 stroker 115 HP wot revs 5000-6000 rpm. Need to check if inside that wot range for OB to operate stress free, ideal towards max wot range. You'll be surprised what a prop maximization can do to better toon performance.

Happy Boating

samiguy

Cadet
UPDATE #2......Thanks again for any assistance! Was able to get out today with the pontoon and do some testing. Flat, calm day. No wind. Normal load, 2 adults regular gear, full tank (22) gallons. After warm up, ran it up and down the lake. Trimmed for speed. WOT 5250 RPM=31 MPH consistent Can run all day at 3500 RPM =16-17 MPH. All GPS speeds. After all this, ran a couple of hours, and spun yet the third **** hub.. Errrrrrr..... What to do, what to do??​ I sure as**** will NOT be using a pressed in hub again ! Thanks. Will be mostly crusing, a bit of tube pulling, with a larger crowd a times. Looking for brand, size, and pitch.
Thanks for all the expert input! It is sincerely appreciated!!
Sami

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Unless you're hitting something, the shop is re Hubbing them incorrectly. In the old days a pressed in hub would last for years if to didnt ding it. Get your money back