Mercruiser prop fitment/hub question.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm here with this new (to me) prop and the boat is a couple of hours away so that's why I ask.

On my 2007 Mercruiser Alpha I will this prop install as is? Couple of washers and a nut? It just looks like there's so much depth on either side of the hub, but without the boat here now I'm just guessing. I'm kind of a newbie too.

Fun Times

Staff member
Looks like you're missing in the photo the thrust hub Mercruiser part number 12-835467Q01 and the nut merc part number 11-52707Q1 which is item numbers 70 and 73,http://www.iboats.com/Gear-Housing-P...iew_id.1693600

As long as you have the two additional parts mentioned above, yes it will mount to your Alpha drive with the hardware that's already installed within the propeller but depending on what design boat you have, it may or may not be the best over all choice as it's more used on outboard type applications as mentioned near the bottom of the following link, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quicksilver-...dWoWHx&vxp=mtr
Item # 70 seen below,

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. There's a prop with the thrust washer, etc. on the boat now. And yes, this prop came off of a Mercury 150. I'll give it a go this weekend and see how it works.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thanks. There's a prop with the thrust washer, etc. on the boat now. And yes, this prop came off of a Mercury 150. I'll give it a go this weekend and see how it works.

That prop has (square) ports just below the leading edge of the blades....just below as the blade turns. This allows exhaust gasses to flow over the blades reducing the density of the water, reducing the load on the engine and allowing faster rpm buildup. They are used on heavy sterned boats, aka bassboats for faster hole shots...planing out of a standstill.

What you will find on going from a idle to firewalled throttle is that the engine rpms will immediately jump up to some intermediate number determined by your particular situation..rig, load, trim setting, environment and all. If the holes are sized correctly for your boat, you will have a much faster hole shot....change from sitting in the water to running on the water. If too small you won't notice them....they aren't too small......if too large your rpms will be excessive delaying your hole shot completion.

Once you get up to some reasonable speed, say 20-25 mph, the water pressure flowing past the prop barrel will seal off the holes and you won't know they're there. Really what it does for you is give you a dual pitched prop....shallow pitch for hole shot and high pitch for WOT joy riding.

Some folks recommend that you don't use them on I/Os. Mercury/Quicksilver makes rubber plugs to fit that prop and you can get a blank if you don't want any shot enhancement. They're solid rubber. Try it and come back with how it went. I am interested, for one, on how it went for you.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks a lot for the info.

I'm going to have all next week to try it out. I'll try to post here then but it will depend on our phone signal.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Crap. The Laser prop touches the little fin just above it. Anode?

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I just ground a bit of it off. Dealer said I don't need it anyway if I have power steering.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, got to play a bit today.

Maybe this prop isn't right for my boat. There's just so much slip on initial acceleration. Which I guess was alluded to in an earlier post but I don't see the benefit. In our impromptu 0-30 tests, the Laser II was a few tenths slower than my old four blade Solas every time. Top speed was 38mph with both props. The Solas at 4600rpm, the Laser at 4700.

I'll probably just sell it. Should"t be too hard as it"s absolutely like new.