Merc Rev 4, or Turning Point hustler? 454 Mag, Bravo 1

MTScott

Cadet
I was dead set on getting a getting a merc Rev 4. The price tag makes me stall a bit though... while I was stalling I came across the turning point hustler 4 blade "sqeeze cast" aluminum props, claiming stainless like performance.

First, the purpose: I currently have a 19P 3 blade mirage stainless prop on my 25ft formula, 454 mag, 365HP. It's a big heavy boat (compared to what I'm used to, anyway). The current prop brings the boat in at 4800RPM at WOT, it runs out about 51-52. With an "okay" holeshot.

I'd like a better holeshot, and I'm okay with losing a little top end. I want to be able to pull a skiers, wakeboards, tubes, etc...

The Rev 4 prop seems to promise all that, and the 17P model seemed right for me. It IS $600 though. I don't mind paying it if that is going to be the best prop for me.

THAT said, these turning point props show promise, and are cheap. $100 or less shipped. Is there a 4 blade that might be appropriate for what I"m running? If so, what pitch? Generally, from what I've read aluminum should run a little more pitch to be the same as stainless, but the way these guys cast them say there is less flex.

Any thoughts?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have a couple of 3 blade Hustlers. They perform like my SS Rapture, as that have about the same rake. I am not familar with the Rev4, but I do think the Hustler is a very good value.

I am very surprised you get the performance stated from your boat/motor combo.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bought a Turning point prop last year and was very impressed. That I bought a second one. Have a 21" 4 blade for when its just the wife and I. 17" for watersports. Picking up a 19" tomorrow. The cost of all 3 props add up to about half the price of a rev 4. Get one and try it out. Forgot to add I have a 04 Caravelle 187 with the 4.3 GXI with the 17 it pops out of the hole and can hit 45 mph but gotta watch my revs. The 21 a little slower out of the hole but can hit 51 on gps at 4800 rpms

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i liked the turning point props too - i would suggest a 17p from them - they are pretty aggressive. That said i think you might over-rev a tad.

oldjeep

Admiral
Turning point Hustler props are extremely thin and nearly impossible to repair

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The Hustlers hold up to sand and mud pretty good. Don't ask me how I know.

They lose a bit of paint, but that is easy to touch up.

MTScott

Cadet
Turning point Hustler props are extremely thin and nearly impossible to repair

Maybe so, but at a 100 bones a piece why would you pay $150 to have one repaired? :)

I ordered up a 17P 14.5x17, and a hub kit. Came out to 150 total. We'll see how it goes. I actually sent an email to them and engineering responded with good info. He suggested the 17P, but says I might pick up a 200 RPMs on the top end. That may be okay, as it'll put my boat at around 5000, which is probably still pretty safe on the 454. I think the rev limits around 5200, but I dunno. This is the carbureted version. When playing on the water I'll probably have 4-6 folks with me anyway, and I'll like the extra snort then.

oldjeep

Admiral
Maybe so, but at a 100 bones a piece why would you pay $150 to have one repaired? :)

I ordered up a 17P 14.5x17, and a hub kit. Came out to 150 total. We'll see how it goes. I actually sent an email to them and engineering responded with good info. He suggested the 17P, but says I might pick up a 200 RPMs on the top end. That may be okay, as it'll put my boat at around 5000, which is probably still pretty safe on the 454. I think the rev limits around 5200, but I dunno. This is the carbureted version. When playing on the water I'll probably have 4-6 folks with me anyway, and I'll like the extra snort then.

$150-? Aluminum prop repair is $40 around here at www.propmd.com $150 would fix one of my Nibral ski boat props

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
MTScott, I did not think a 25 footer with a single engine could achieve a speed of 51-52MPH.

MTScott

Cadet
MTScott, I did not think a 25 footer with a single engine could achieve a speed of 51-52MPH.

Ah, well I wouldn't have known one way or another... glad to hear it is above par :). It doesn't get there easy. Good water, trimmed out I can get to 51, saw it on my phone GPS. I run into the mid 40s quite easily. I guess it is the 454 mag that gets it done. I believe this new prop will slow it down a bit though. Coming out of the hole if I have 4+ adults in the boat, it struggles a bit unless folks start walking towards the bow. I'm hoping this prop will make that easier.

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
here my 2 cents...ron hill pleasure prop. they are a five blade s/s is stronger than aluminum and the power out of the hole is fantastic, top speed is higher that my old 21" 3 blade that was a spare ( more surface area to push more water). they are cheaper than the mercury high five but the blades are 14 1/4" compared to high five's 13 1/4" and the blade are as thick as normal blades go, high five is so thin across the face 1/3 less. once you get the pitch you need you'll be very happy with this prop... side note, the high five is very hard to back up or maneuver around the dock with because of the thin blades ( can't grab the water)while the ron hill prop you can spin donuts in reverse like going forward..

jkust

Rear Admiral
I've had a number of the Turning Point Hustler props because they are inexpensive. My only small issue with them is that don't seem to hold up to even a light sand strike going very slow as well as other aluminum props. Other than that they work good for the money.

MTScott

Cadet
here my 2 cents...ron hill pleasure prop. they are a five blade s/s is stronger than aluminum and the power out of the hole is fantastic, top speed is higher that my old 21" 3 blade that was a spare ( more surface area to push more water). they are cheaper than the mercury high five but the blades are 14 1/4" compared to high five's 13 1/4" and the blade are as thick as normal blades go, high five is so thin across the face 1/3 less. once you get the pitch you need you'll be very happy with this prop... side note, the high five is very hard to back up or maneuver around the dock with because of the thin blades ( can't grab the water)while the ron hill prop you can spin donuts in reverse like going forward..

Interesting... I wish I had seen this post earlier. I might have to add that prop to my growing collection. I had the turning point ordered already (4Bx14.5x17P). I put it on last night and gave it a go. It totally changed the boat. It shoots up on plane now much easier, and it'll possible over rev. Trimmed out it started climbing slightly over 5000. The label on the engine says WOT RPM should be 4800-5000.

MTScott

Cadet

What pitch are you running on your 5 blade prop? Are you running 21" as well?