New prop to tight and won't turn once installed

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ordered a new 4 blade Solas Amita prop to replace my 3 blade prop. I went to install it yesterday and found that it was too tight once I put everything back together and the prop wouldn't turn easily like my old prop. I searched the net and saw that some props need different sized thrust bushings (washers) at the bottom of the prop shaft. I couldn't find anything on the Solas website about needing one or if they even sold one. I've left a message with the dealer I purchased the prop from.

I was wondering if anyone here might know what is needed. I put the old 3 blade back on for now.

I have a 2005 3.0L Volvo Penta SX drive.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Definitely need a slight thicker thrust bushing to pull prop bit outwards. Propeller manufactures should fabricate their props to meet exact same OEM standard props.

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Definitely need a slight thicker thrust bushing to pull prop bit outwards. Propeller manufactures should fabricate their props to meet exact same OEM standard props.

Happy Boating

Patents and Trademarks can interfere with that idea

Last edited:

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So if Solas doesn't list any info about the bushing, how do I make sure I get the right one? Since it seems they come in a variety of different sizes.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
So if Solas doesn't list any info about the bushing, how do I make sure I get the right one? Since it seems they come in a variety of different sizes.

Just put on a Solex Rubex4, they listed numerous times in the documentation that a thrust washer may be required. I was actually able to use my OEM one, so now I've got a spare Solex on hand for mine.

http://www.solas.com/newweb/propelle...cts/access.asp

My first question though.. You did have a thrust washer on, correct? Sometimes they can stick to the old prop when you remove it.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked at that list of parts, there is no Volvo parts other then the hubs listed. The hub is part of the Amita prop.

Yes, I have the thrust washer, it was on the prop shaft under the original prop.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Patents and Trademarks can interfere with that idea

That's why dislike buying other brand props, always stick with OEM ones. Imagine importing other brand props from far away countries and having tech issues when installing them due to a miss match between both.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What a PITA this is becoming, only reason I ordered the Solas was to keep the same pitch but move to a 4 blade. Seems like it would be way easier to have moved to a different pitch. I'm waiting for the dealer to let me know if I can return the prop or not.

Volvo part number is 3852020 for the thrust bushing, just in case anyone needs this info down the road. Still not sure this will correct my issue.

82rude

Rear Admiral
GET the correct washer.You will love the solas.Ive had my amita 4 blade for 3 different hulls now and each one has loved it.Ive used the same 17p amita with a 82 90 hp rude and now a 2011 60hp etec and both motors loved it also.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The new bushing arrived Monday, I installed it and the new prop last night, everything fit great and the prop spins freely now. In the end it was a $50 learning experience, the Volvo thrust bushing was almost twice as thick as the Michigan Wheel bushing.