SS prop for 40 hp???

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Wow, that's why boaters at my boating club pull their hairs off when my18 with maxed prop beats by far their ETEC 25 with standard delivered prop in equal size boats. Incredible how a reputed Company as BRP is completely lost in prop selection availability compared to other OB manufacturers.. What do you plan doing ?

Happy Boating

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have ordered an older style omc prop that is a 13.75 x 15 pitch. The prop shop owner I bought it from said it was one of the best props for these bombardiers. I'm hoping it will do the trick. Another option is to buy a hustler prop that is 14 x 13 and is cupped. Hoping one or the other works. The last option is to have the 13.75 x 13 re-pitched to 14 and have it cupped. This too, I'm hoping will lower the rpms from 6000 on the prop at 13 pitch but will be my last ditch attempt since the prop coasts 150 and I would then have to pay for the pitching and cupping each time I needed a new prop. Something I hope to avoid for obvious reasons. My brother is leaving the lake today and I am going up next weekend so there won't be much going on until then. I will keep you all informed as to my progress or lack there of.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Just because I said good luck doesn't mean I'm joining the "i hate brp club", so I'm sending the membership app back,you and searider will have to go it alone,:D​ just kidding!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't hate brp, I don't think they are very bright. I think they should make props in less than 800 rpm increments, no hate there. I just want my props.....what, why are you laughing?

​That wasn't really an application rude, that was an acceptance or welcome letter. The application part was so we have your contact info so we know where to send all the Mercury and Yamaha literature. Sorry to be the first to tell you rude. Welcome to the club. Lol

We are going up tonight so I will have more to report soon. Praying this latest prop does the trick. I'm hoping for close to 40 and will be disappointed with anything less. :lol: I don't think I even need to look at the speedo anymore. Just the tach. Just want 5600ish.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With the the prop that achieved best wot rpm run, how much under is OB from max wot rpm factory stated ? Seems the best route will be sending that prop to a prop shop and have it repitched. How much less, will need to figure it out..

Happy Boating

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks sea rider, the prop with the best mph was 400 below recommended and the prop that over revved the engine was over by 400. I only went up two inches in pitch so it should have put me right at my desired 5600. Instead, it dropped my 800. I believe the additional 400 was due to the cupping on the higher pitch.ed prop.

I have tested the third "new" prop and it was the worst yet. It was a solas and as soon as I saw that I knew it would be cupped as well. I tried it anyway and it only produced 27 at 5150 rpm. I have sent my first 15 pitch prop to the prop shop and they are going to take the cupping out. If that doesn't take it into my range I will then have it shaved to get a smaller diameter. Hoping the prop will be done by tomorrow but I doubt it. The final result will probably have to wait until September when I come up again. Rats..... I could get lucky and they might do it for me tomorrow so fingers crossed

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Which pitch achieved the best mph but with 400 less rpm at wot ? Are you saying that with 2 +,- pitch there's 800 wot rpm difference ? If that's so, then there's 400 rpm going one +.- pitch size.

You have experienced by yourself that one +,- less pitch going per rule of thumb does not dial +,- 200 wot revs, diales 400-600 rmp on light to medium light combos. Went + 500 wot revs myself with one less pitch.

If having 5100 as best wot rpm with X pitch should have repitched that prop one less pitch and stayed with cupping to be right at 5500. Underpowered OB's have their limits....

Happy Boating

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The 13 pitch went slower at 28.3 mph but at 6000. So I went to the 15 pitch thinking it would knock it down 400 to 5600 but it knocked it down to 5200 but it went 30.4. The 800 rpm change can only be explained by the cupping. The cupped prop was also a 1/4" smaller in diameter which should have made the difference even less then 400. It has to be the cupping. I am having the 15 pitch uncupped. The prop shop has a 15 pitch block that he will use to straighten out the cup. I can also have the 13 pitch re-pitched to a 14 and cup it. I might try that if this doesn't work out. Or just to see which works better.

I drove the boat myself for the first time this past weekend and am super happy with it. It just pulls like crazy, gets great Gas milage and is up on plane in a heartbeat. I have some fine tuning to do but I can say that if nothing changes performance wise from how it works now I wouldn't be too disapointed. It is a whole new boat and i couldn't get it below 25 mph even when pulling a tuber with me and a spotter or with three average to large guys plus fishing gear. The boat just refuses to go below 25. That is with the higher revving 13 pitch. I put that on so that I wouldn't lug the motor with the multiple people I knew we would have in the boat. It was a ball to drive and ran so well throughout the rpm demands...from wot to docking or trolling. Ran like a champ and is whisper quiet.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will be interesting to see how much wot revs OB gains with a 15 uncupped. The 13 has better hole shot than the 15, right ? Not a wow speed difference between both 2 props. You're in pursuit of better hole shot with less top end speed or slow hole shot with higher top end speed as currently loaded, that's when not solo boating.

For me would be a PITA to change props while boating with different loads. Best hole shot its preffered to best top end speed. Few runs full hammer down all the time, more fuel consumption to get some more MPH out.

Happy Boating

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm searching for 5600 so I don't need two props. I think that will mean less hole shot but the boat weighs 800 pounds so I don't think it needs too much to hole shot well. I guess top speed would be preferred over holeshot. We have a pontoon for the cruising. This one gets hammered pretty much all the time. This is the fish and fun boat. If I happen to be carrying around extra weight I'll always have the 13 prop laying around, it is my brothers spare. I didn't get to try the 15 before sending it out but my brother says they left about the same.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
So after playing uncupping props, which were the results. Is OB finally running at 5600 rpm wot range ? It's better for any undepowered OB to run near max full wot revs as currently loaded, hole shot will be improved than runing say at middle wot range which will only give slight more top end speed sacrificing best hole shot. Expect just 2-3 knot increase between max and middle wot range.

Happy Boating

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I haven't had a chance to try the newly uncupped prop. The boat (and prop) are 4 hrs away and with family obligations and the such it isn't easy getting up there very often. We have a tentative plan to go up in September. The weather breaks early up there so September is really the last hurrah. My brother might make it up before that and if so he will test the new prop and get the info to me for you fellas to analyze. Unfortunately nothing to report other than the prop is uncupped and waiting for me 4 hrs away.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Glad its working out for you finally.For the very first time since I bought my etec I got to hear it from outside the boat and I was yelling at my brother to start the dam motor and he says it is started.From head on I could not hear it atall.Its so nice to be able to carry on a normal conversation at full throttle also.

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree on the quietness. We were wot at 25 cruising down the lake and I could talk to everyone in the boat not yell at them but talk to them. Also, while pulling my wife on the tube, I didn't need hand signals from her...she just screamed SLOW DOWN. Lol. I guess the extra 10 mph on the tube didn't agree with her. Love it already with the wrong prop and all. As I said after driving her for myself. I now just want to get the engine into the 5600 range and forget every last mph. It would be nice but it is fast enough for me already (For now). The marginal drop in mph from alone to almost fully weighted down is what makes me happiest.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I've met three here already that say their under or over propped with regard to their etec. With the right marketing, and props of course, it would be a money maker. Even people with the right prop would buy one if told it was an etec maximizer. I had to laugh today while browsing evinrudes site. They have a power experiment with a 16 ft boat like mine with the prop that over revved my boat. It was 150 lbs lighter and they only got it to 28.6 at 5700. I'm sure it went to 6000 but they only published to 5700. My boat went 30.4 at 5200. Funny how even in there power ads they are under powered. They also have a 16 foot pontoon with a top speed of 16. My brother has his 19 ft going 21. Crazy how even Evinrude is lost in regards to propping.

Actually, you could expect more speed from a 21 vs a 16. A pontoon is not a planing hull and that throws a lot of common thought out the window. It all has to do with length vs bow wave.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok guys, not much to report here but I figured I'd keep you in the loop. I haven't been back to the lake and it's driving me up a wall. My 50 year old house is keeping me busy each weekend and i can safely say im sick of fixing underground sprinklers. It seems that a new leak springs up 10 ft away from the last repair. I guess 48 years is a good run for that cheap sprinkler line. I may just bite the bullet and replace all the old line. I would like to redesign zones anyway but not looking forward to all that time on my bad knees getting soaked adjusting them. It is worth paying someone but it really is such an easy job minus the knee and back pain. My wife just found out she will need an invasive surgery and it's scheduled for late September. This may nix our plan to get up there this month. It looks like I may have to rely on my brother for the uncupped prop results. He thinks he is going up this weekend. I'd like to get up one last time this year but I don't want to stress the wife. No big deal in the long run. I will post any results my brother gets if he in fact goes up. Thanks for hanging in there with me guys. Slow going with the lake so far away.