Prop choice for friends new Stingray 4.3 Volvo Penta

rubrsidedown

Cadet
Hey guys and gals...
As you can see I'm totally new to this group.

I am doing a favor for a friend that just got a new 2016 Stingray 195 bow rider with a Volvo Penta 4.3 liter I/O for power.

He wants to put a stainless prop on it and would like to gain a little performance while doing so if at all possible.
He has a 21 pitch alum prop now and it's running about 50mph on the speedo (dreamOmeter)

Does anyone have any first hand experience with propping a similar powered boat and if so what can you recommend?
Brand, pitch, diameter etc...

Thanks in advance

Jeff B In Maine

rubrsidedown

Cadet
Hey guys and gals...
As you can see I'm totally new to this group.

I am doing a favor for a friend that just got a new 2016 Stingray 195 bow rider with a Volvo Penta 4.3 liter I/O for power.

He wants to put a stainless prop on it and would like to gain a little performance while doing so if at all possible.
He has a 21 pitch alum prop now and it's running about 50mph on the speedo (dreamOmeter)

Does anyone have any first hand experience with propping a similar powered boat and if so what can you recommend?
Brand, pitch, diameter etc...

Thanks in advance

Jeff B In Maine

Miss Behave business end.jpg

Attachments

• Miss Behave business end.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have that boat (the, now discontinued, cuddy cabin version), with a 4.3 GL (carbed) Volvo penta engine and drive, and I have ran the following props:

23P 3 blade (Volvo OEM)
21P 3 blade (Volvo OEM)
21P 4 blade (Michigan Wheel Vortex)

All are aluminum. Of the three, I prefer by a huge margin the 21P four blade... The holeshot and low speed handling are much better then with the three blades, and I can still hit nearly 50mph on GPS even with my considerably-heavier-then-factory boat (big stereo, wakeboard tower, etc).

However, it's really about how you want to boat... Any of them work fine, but if top speed is what your friend is after, I'd suggest going to a 23P three blade stainless. He should be able to get mid to high 50's on that boat, with that prop, and a normal load. Since it's a 2016 I'll assume it's a fuel injected motor? If so, propped right, high 50's all day.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A 4.3 is not going to push a boat that size to 55 mph. a 5.0 may do it, but not a 4.3

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A 4.3 is not going to push a boat that size to 55 mph. a 5.0 may do it, but not a 4.3

I highly disagree. It's a Stingray; well known for their high speed capability as a result of their light weight. Do your research before proclaiming facts:

A 23P aluminum prop will run 58 mph on radar according to Stingray.

Many more radar graph prop/engine combos available on the stingray website.

Last edited:

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Regardless of top speed, make sure the Rpms stay in the correct range. Usually a decrease in 1 in of pitch results in 200rpm increase and vice versa. Don't end up bogging the engine down and ruining it just to get more top speed. What is the WOT rpm with the prop on it now? Where do you boat in Maine? I'm on Sebago.

Last edited:

rubrsidedown

Cadet
What rpms is he turning with the 21?

THAT was the first question I asked him....
Unfortunately, He didn't have a clue. :-(

I told him that is one of if not the most important bit of info needed to prop a boat.... clutch a bike or a snowmobile.
He will be getting me the info on his next venture out on the water.
I was thinking MAYBE, just MAYBE someone else MIGHT have the same boat/power combo. Wishful thinking.
Sorry.

Thanks for getting back to me though.

Stand by, as soon as I find out what he's turning I'll be sure to post it up.

Take care.

Jeff B In Maine

Last edited:

rubrsidedown

Cadet
RPM!?!?

THAT was the first question I asked him....

Unfortunately, He didn't have a clue. :-(

I told him that is one of if not the most important bit of info needed to prop a boat.... clutch a bike or a snowmobile.
He will be getting me the info on his next venture out on the water.
I was thinking MAYBE, just MAYBE someone else MIGHT have the same boat/power combo. Wishful thinking.
Sorry.

Thanks for getting back to me though.

Stand by, as soon as I find out what he's turning I'll be sure to post it up.

As for when we are in Maine....
We are located in Central Maine, Waterville area.
Boat mostly in the Belgrade Lakes area, Millinocket once in a while and

a few times a year we trailer to Gardiner to drop the boat in the Kennebec and head out into the ocean and the Boothbay area when the weather is good.

Take care.

Jeff B In Maine

Katahdin 6-7-14.PNG

rubrsidedown

Cadet
Definitely need RPMs. Have a good season.

Yup,
I totally agree.
Just like clutching a snowmobile....
Need to know the sweet spot. If not, it's much more likely you'll end up going backwards.
He now knows that.
I will pass the info on as soon as I get it.

Thanks.
Have a great season as well.

Jeff B In Maine

View attachment 8.bmp