New (to me) boat and engine, no prop, need starting point.

staticman4414

Recruit
I am restoring and old aluminum fish and ski boat. Deep V Hull, 17 Foot, Boat should be around 900lbs, plus another 900-1000lbs in Engine, people, fuel, and gear. So 1800-1900lbs total loaded weight. Installing a 1984 Mercury 115HP outboard on it that didn't come with a prop. Prior owner sold the stainless prop from it seperate from the engine. So I need to buy a prop and have nothing to go off of for a starting prop. I will be using the boat for mainly cruising, but some Tubing, KneeBoarding, Skiing. Fuel Economy would be a big plus, with top speed being minor. I figure I will cruise around 23-25 MPH, from past boating experience. I have never had an outboard boat, so not sure where to start. Either on diameter or pitch. I just want something I can cruise on plane efficiently over distances. We enjoy the ride and seeing new places.

Thanks,
Static

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A 19p or 21p would be a great place to start. If I remember correctly mercs of that era take a 13.25" diameter. The 21p should give you a little better top end, and the 19p should give you better hole shot and a little lower planing speed.

Seeing as you sound like you're more looking for water sports and cruising I'd probably recommend the 19p

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Hover your cursor over the" boat parts and accessories" a tab will drop down.
many many props will be revealed use the odd numbers too start I lean toward the 17" pitch.
The motor needs to be able to rev freely within its rpm rating 4750 -5250.
If a 17 appears too light you can still use it by keeping within the rpm range.
If too much prop you will need to go to a lower pitch.
It would be best if you can find a dealer that will loan a prop with the understanding you are buying a prop.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Best bet here if you can find a local prop shop who will let you try a couple that would be best as you have no WOT rpm basis point to go from. I did this a couple years ago and worked great. I paid more than on line but I knew what I was buying would work.

If this isn't feasible try the 19 to start. If you can find a good used aluminum one on eBay etc to rough it in you'll lower your cost if it doesn't work out.