Enertia, Vensura, or MW? Where to go from here?

Crown895

Cadet
Good morning everyone,

I have a 2008 Crownline 180BR that is an absolute dream to own. It does nearly everything that the family and I like to do. However, I just can't seem to find the right prop for it. Realistically, I'd like to own at least two SS propellers, but right now, the thing I would like most is to have a prop with great hole shot, and decent mid range. Top speed is not a priority for me on a V6 sterndrive. I'm not really a noob on this topic, but I would like some advice on what others have tried on similar boats.

Let me give a rundown on the everything I have as far as the boat goes:

2008 Crownline 180BR
4.3 TKS 190hp V6 (repowered in 2013 due to a brief hospitalization and the block froze before I could winterize)
1.81 Gear Ratio
Monster Tower MTK with 4 tower speakers
27 gallon fuel tank, kept full
No trim tabs, no swim platforrm
Usually carries 4 adults and 1 ice chest, ski gear etc
Dual Optima Blue Top Batteries kept in starboard stern.

Prop 1:
Mercury Black Max 21P (Came with the boat)
Top Speed GPS: 48 @ at 4600 RPM
Holeshot: Just slightly better than trying to get a WWII German Tiger tank on plane...
Operation: Vibrated like a Harley Davidson at a stoplight, and blew out at anything over a half turn of the wheel.

Prop 2:
Solas Aluminum 19P
Top Speed GPS: 43 @ 4800 RPM
Holeshot: Slightly better than the Mercury Black Max
Operation: Much smoother than the Black Max, making me believe something was off balance with the Merc prop. Never really felt hooked-up. Like the boat was fighting for grip with the prop. Blew out in turns.

Prop 3:
PowerTech! OFS 17P
Top Speed GPS: 38 at 4800 (had much more on the throttle, but I didn't push it due to the low pitch of the prop.
Holeshot: Jumped out of the water like a cat in a bathtub
Operation: This prop shot the boat out of the water like a cork, but absolutely could not maintain any low speed planing when pulling a skier/wakeboarder. This prop was massive, I believe around 15.5" diameter, and never felt good on the boat.

Prop 4:
Mercury Alpha 4 20P
Top Speed: 46 @ 4700 RPM
Holeshot: Pretty decent, except under load. Probably due to the aluminum material.
Operation: This is on the boat now, as it has been the best overall performer. Holeshot is good, but it struggles to pull skiers out of the water when the boat is loaded. Excellent cruising prop, and allows the engine to reach the top of the WOT range, but when throttled at a stop, only spins up to 3000 RPM's, which tells me its over propped for what I'm trying to achieve.

Prop 5:
Mercury High Five 21P
Top Speed: 40 @ 4800 RPM
Holeshot: Disappointing, to say the least. Especially for how its marketed and the astronomical price tag. It will be on ebay later on today.
Operation: Very smooth operation. I haven't experienced the "backing up at the docks" problems that I have heard many forum members talk about. Runs like the boat is on rails when on plane, and actually keeps the boat on plane at speeds as low as 15mph. It will not blow out. HOWEVER, it takes just about as long as the Black Max did to plane. And it spins up to 4200 RPM when the throttle is nailed from a stop. Its like I don't even have a prop. It works the motor to death, and a full day on the water will require at least one refuel trip with a very economical engine.

At this point, I am considering the Vensura, or the Enertia. I haven't read anything great or bad with the Vensura, but it is very similar in design to my Alpha 4. I'm thinking a 19P Vensura may be an excellent fit for the way I operate the boat. I've also heard great things about the Enertia, but I've grown accustomed to not blowing out in turns, and 3 blades just seem to be prone to that. I'm up for suggestions if anyone has any. There are no prop shops around North Louisiana that allow you to borrow and test, so I'm digging in the wallet every time I want to "test" one. I'm also up for suggestions on other props if there are any suggestions. Thanks folks, and have a great day!

youmansjason

Seaman
I previously owned a similar boat. I had a Four Winns 18' with 4.3L Volvo Penta. I found Stainless Steel props to be superior to the Aluminum props. They are less likely to blow out in the turns (but still will in a hard turns). Trimming the drive down/in during hard turns helped. They also provided much better bite when accelerating.

For my boat, I ran a 19P Michigan Wheel (Apollo, I think). The 19P was just right for good acceleration and good top speed.

On my current boat, a 23' Caravelle with 350 V-8, I've run a SS 4 blade prop. It gives super bite for acceleration and is great for holding plane at low speeds. It does drop a little bit off of top speed, but like you, I'm not looking for running at top speed.

Whatever you choose, stick with Stainless Steel and you will be most satisfied.

Crown895

Cadet
Yeah, thats the direction I want to go. The High Five and the PowerTech! were both SS, but they were disappointing. I guess I'll just keep hunting.

Maclin

Admiral
I do not see where a basic SS 3blade 19p was tried... That is where I would start (over) I think.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My Enertia grips the water very hard and very rarely 'blows out'.

Crown895

Cadet
Maclin, I haven't gone with a 3 blade 19P SS, but the PowerTech was a 3 blade SS. Sorry, I forgot to label that. The question I have on that is, does the blade area and diameter have an inverse relationship with the boat being able to stay on plane? That prop exploded out of the hole, but the diameter and blade area was so large that I was constantly having to accelerate and decelerate to keep a decent wakeboarding speed. And at 15-18 mph, that was nearly impossible to maintain and stay on plane. Would a smaller diameter 19P be more realistic here?

Jimmbo, does your boat stay on plane at lower speeds with the Enertia? I like the idea of a smaller diameter with large blade area. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, but I'd like at least one prop for everyday use.

Maclin

Admiral
Generalizing, more blade area is better for the maintaining plane at lower speeds, but usually just diameter change won't make much difference. Lower pitch same thing, so the 17p should have made some difference just from that, but maybe it is the boat hull characteristics more than prop characteristics at play. Tabs would make the most difference I think regarding planing and staying on plane at lower speeds.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Jimmbo, does your boat stay on plane at lower speeds with the Enertia? I like the idea of a smaller diameter with large blade area. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, but I'd like at least one prop for everyday use.

No. It planes at the same speed regardless of which prop I run on it. It will plane at a lower speed if trimmed in fully. I don't have a trim tabs, and I refuse to try any of the ventilation plate busters.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
On my old boat 1991 sea ray 170 with a 3.0 I really liked Michigan wheel vortex 18p 4 blade. Held tight in turns and didn't blow out when trimmed up. I think they gave a fair amount of cup that gives a good grip, real good prop for the money.

Just upgraded to a 2004 searay 200 sport -5.0. I bought a 21p vensura. I think it's a good prop has really strong mid range acceleration, hole slot was less than I liked, when trimmed up the prop blows out more than the vortex I previously ran. I don't think the blade area on the vensura is that much and could use more cupping to bite as well as the vortex, and this is a stainless prop that costs twice as much.

Next step for me are a vortex trial or maybe the Mercury spitfire. I generally like the four blades for holeshot and towing.

Crown895

Cadet
I really appreciate all the responses. I went with the Enertia, so we'll just wait and see. The more I read about it, the better I feel. It seems like more people have had success with it versus problems with it. Time will tell!

Crown895

Cadet
Ok, I got the Enertia in a couple days ago, and finally got to try it out today. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. The boat gets on plane faster, for sure. It's the way it gets on plane that's impressive. Normally the boat points towards the sky when the throttle is nailed. However, i never lost sight of the horizon when I hit the gas. The stern just seemed to pop right up. Cruising speed was 38 mph at a very light 3200 rpms, and WOT was at an unbelievable 53 mph at 4800 rpm with a little room left to play. This boat has never moved this fast and easily before. The true test will come this weekend with a boat full of people and ski gear, but I am pleased. Thank you all for the advice.

Crown895

Cadet
Sorry for the late response, but I went with a 21. The 21 is perfect for cruising, and still gets on plane easily with 4 people in the boat. However, it's a bit much for wakeboarding. So, I bought another one that was a 19, lol. Problem solved. Both props are the most impressive I've ever had.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I was impressed 10 years ago when I got mine, still am. Have you tried different sized vent plugs? I found the mid sized ones best on my setup.

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain
Don't fear the RPMs. It's OK to spin the motor to it's top speed. Nobody every hurt a Chevy by going 5000 rpm. It won't float the valves or anything like that.
If you have the Thunderbolt V ignition ( I think you should) it will hit a rev limiter around 5200 and slow back down 300 rpm before it re-fires.
At 5252 rpm the torque and HP curves cross. That's your max power.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The top speed for his engine is 4800 rpm. Above that it will make less power.

superbenk

Commander
Is the Enertia a 3-blade prop or 4? I'm looking for a replacement too. I just bought the Alpha4 on vacation last week only to pick up a rock pulling out at the end of vacation ruining the brand new prop. Looking to go stainless now but really liked the performance of the Alpha4 compared to the factory Black Max. What has been said here about the Enertia sounds really good!

Crown895

Cadet
I actually haven't tried the vent plugs, because my research said that if I was able to spin up to 4000 rpm on takeoff, then I was right where I needed to be. I still love the Enertia, but for watersports, I've switched to a 19p Rev4. Makes a huge difference.